recording / replaying

Started by
11 comments, last by syedhs 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I'm wondering how can we record datas in order to replay something in a game. My first idea is to store for each frame the position / quaternion of each entity, so that I can easily go to any frame later. But that would create enourmous replay files ... The other idea is to only store the inputs. But in order to do that, I need a really deterministic engine (don't know if "deterministic" is the correct word. I mean an engine which would always have the same result for the same set of inputs) And the problem is to go back during the replay ... Do you know any method that would easily allow replay (forward and backward) without storing huge files ?? Thx in advance.
Advertisement
Paic,

You could always save those inputs and timestamp them when they occur, then play them back in a different thread playing those inputs at their specified offseted time.

When you seek, you can replay through all the events as fast as possible and not perform any rendering. I don't know how many assumptions you can make, but there might be some to help speed up seeking.

-brad
-brad
What you describe certainly could be possible. You'd need to store the initial seed of your random number generator, but that's about it. Other than that pseudo-randomness, the only possible influence is player input, right? Computer programs are inherently "deterministic" (I'm not sure if that's the right word either).

If that doesn't work out for you, try storing the initial state, and then just the changes at every tick. But that could be nearly as verbose as dumping the entire state at each tick, depending on what kind of game you have.
The problem of storing inputs, is floating point numbers, and rounding errors. If I replay using only the user inputs, a very small rounding error could lead to really different results, especially with collisions ...
And the problem of seeking is that even if I do not render anything, doing every updates since the first frame would take quite a lot of time with all the physics used in the engine :/
I thought maybe the first solution (store all the needed informations for any entity to render it at a given frame) with a good compression / decompression algorithm would work, but before, I wanted to know how people do this :-)
You dont necessarily have to store the exact user inputs...

If your system posts events for each user input, then you can simply record those events instead, eactly as they are posted.

But you're correct... in order to be able to reliably record and replay with any efficiency, you really need a deterministic engine, with only seeded random number generators providing "randomness". If you have major operations in the game logic which give different behaviour due to floating point and rounding errors, then youre going to have a hard time managing a replay feature.

One sidenote: If you do manage to overcome that problem, and use the method of storing input and seeds - if you have a threaded program, make sure you have a thread-safe random number generator!
Well storing position+quaternion for each object in each frame is the most straightforward method.

1) Why dont you just do it, and see if the file is indeed as big as you think?

2) If the file is indeed big, here are the steps that I can think of to reduce the size:-
a) Quaternion compression (16 bytes down to approximately 7 bytes)
b) Vector3d compression (12 bytes to maybe 10 bytes)
c) Interpolation. Let say that a car is moving from one point to another in a straight line, you can just store the start point+ending point and the timestamp itself.
d) Lastly, you can use a good compression library eg 7zip to further compress the file.

I would say, do (a), (b) and followed by (d) as they are the most straighforward.
Quote:Original post by caffiene
If you have major operations in the game logic which give different behaviour due to floating point and rounding errors, then youre going to have a hard time managing a replay feature.

Floating point and rounding errors are just lack of precision - they're still 100% deterministic. The CPU doesn't just get values randomly wrong.

Quote:Original post by Kylotan
The CPU doesn't just get values randomly wrong.

Yes, you're right, but I forgot to say that a replay file can be replayed on any plateform supported by the program ... and maybe different kind of processors can lead to errors ?

syedhs > imagine a car : you have 5 objects (the body, and 4 wheels) -> 140B each frame (without storing lights states, and other effects)
take 20 vehicles, run the program at 50FPS, and replay 15 minutes ...120MB of data. I'll need a really good compression algorithm (which needs to run at 50FPS)

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll try to store inputs.

Thx for the inputs :-)
Quote:Original post by paic
syedhs > imagine a car : you have 5 objects (the body, and 4 wheels) -> 140B each frame (without storing lights states, and other effects)
take 20 vehicles, run the program at 50FPS, and replay 15 minutes ...120MB of data. I'll need a really good compression algorithm (which needs to run at 50FPS)

Do you really need to sample at every single frame? Why not, say, 10 samples a second, or even 2-3 times a second could be enough? During playback, interpolate values for higher playback rates.

If you fix it to the frame rate, you also need to time stamp every frame so you know how fast to playback, as framerate could vary over time. At a fixed rate, you know when each sample is taken, and the increased resolution you get from 50 samples a second compared to 10, or 2-3 samples a second, may not make a noticable difference in practice.
Ah, I forgot to ask a question : when you store inputs, and just replay the scene replacing user inputs by the ones you saved, it's fine. But how can you seek backward ? The physic engine can't run backward, right ? And if I have 15 minutes of replay, I can't replay from the first frame, it would be too long (even without displaying)

Nobody ever coded this kind of stuff and could give me a hint ? :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement