Sign in to follow this  
Nivek_2

HELP::World Editor

Nivek_2    122
Hi everyone, Can anyone involve in game development, tell me an overview how World editors are developed.. by world editors i mean the one that come along stratgy games such as world of warcraft, or any strategy game, where players can create their own maps.

jpetrie    13099
The same way any software is developed. Requirements specific to the project are determined, technology (language, APIs) is chosen that will allow those requirements to be met, and development ensues.

Your question is too general. Ask something more specific. Moving to For Beginners.

Nivek_2    122
Hi jpetrie
thanks for the reply...

let me restructure the question..

what are the languages and api used for developing the world editor

i'm confused how the 3D environment where the player can place objects on the map..are integrated in the interface.

how is the interface developed(the software + languages)?

how is the 3d environment developed(the software + languages)?

and how are they both put together?

Djgamez24    142
I think you are confused, I do not know if you have any programming experience but I am assuming you don't due to the way you are referring to different elements of a level editor. Normally the level editor is built around a game to suit its needs. it is programmed like any other software application. the language is purely the users choice. For you to better understand this you should read a bit about a programming language and understand the concept of an application and games.

Nivek_2    122
hey thanks for the reply...

Indeed im really confused.:) Actually im still a student and might go for game development later..all i want to get an insight.

marius1930    119
The language is sort of irrelevant, any language once compiled pretty much does the same thing.

What's your definition of "the interface"?
http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/winxp_beta2_wmp8full.gif
(Everything around the 'video' part, is the user interface.)

"How they are put together", is by having the map editor save the maps in a specific format, that the game knows and recognizes.

Imagine pacman, it has a pretty simple map, you could easily create a map editor for it, simply adding/removing walls with a mouse click, saving 1 for wall and 0 for empty space in a file, then opening it in your game drawing the map based on that.

The 3D environment is most likely developed using the OpenGL or DirectX API.
For the map editor it self, it may be using simply the Windows API, or it may lean on a 3D library like OGL/DX depending on the complexity and design.

Captain P    1092
Quote:
Original post by marius1930
The 3D environment is most likely developed using the OpenGL or DirectX API.
For the map editor it self, it may be using simply the Windows API, or it may lean on a 3D library like OGL/DX depending on the complexity and design.

You might as well use an existing engine or framework to build your editor with. It can save you a lot of time. Those things aren't only for games. The same goes for interfaces: there are several GUI libraries available. Find one that suits your needs and use it.