Sign in to follow this  
leiavoia

Simple Multimedia Security - Any Reasonable Method/Software Exist?

Problem: You have a game / mp3 / software package or any other kind of multimedia "blob" you want to sell or distribute. You don't want your blob getting copied to death and shared with everyone. Objective: To prevent simple copying with a simple mechanism that makes it difficult for 99% percent of the general computer users out there to copy or share the blob they purchased/downloaded. (Intended audience are not power-users). It doesn't have to be uncrackable. It just needs to be reasonable difficult for most people to share. I want to know if you have used or have heard about any kind of technology that you can use to "wrap" your multimedia blob with a simple password mechanism. It needs to work on a per-user basis and can't irritate the user like current game / audio copy protection schemes work. Keyword "simple"! Ideally, I'm looking for something that authenticates against a server. What I would like to do is sell individual mpeg presentations or other multimedia files over the web that are only good for the person who purchased them. Does such a tech exist already? It's okay if it costs money. Points to anyone with a decent solution or link to one. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Does such a tech exist already? It's okay if it costs money.

It costs billions of dollars a year.

It doesn't work.

You could look at various high-end DRM solutions, but their prices are insanely high, since they cover the costs of the above two problems as well.

Quote:
To prevent simple copying with a simple mechanism that makes it difficult for 99% percent of the general computer users out there to copy or share the blob they purchased/downloaded.

Make a crappy product nobody will want to see.

Other than that - who the target audience is doesn't really matter. If it's popular/needed/desired it will be "abused".

BTW: movie and audio corporations these days would literally kill (they tried everything else possible) to have such technology.

But there is one problem that will never be solvable - analog hole.

With the tedious bits out of the way, I'd look into into various streaming technologies, such as real media or windows DRM technologies. Those tend to work pretty reliably and hassle-free, but they require online authentication. Downside of this may be that some of this content may be streamed, so it could require high bandwidth connection.

Off-line doesn't really work, especially not for rich content. You could author a DVD, but those don't come with any real security.

There exist DRM packages for software as well, some are used for trial software, but I'm not familiar with them. I've also noticed their popularity decline in recent years.

Last note: DRM, even when flawlessly executed, is an annoyance for users.

That's about what i figured. Streaming is an option in this case, but a download option would be nice for people with slow connections. I imagine that is still a large part of the non-power-user population.