Sign in to follow this  
m@

quadtree collision system??

m@    124
Hello. So I'm trying to work out what is the best solution to my collision detection problems. Keep in mind that this is for a 2D game that will look similar to the image below. I've read up on space partitioning but some seem over the top for what I need...? Or am I wrong. Quad trees seem like the most appropriate or maybe bounding boxes for each edge? I'm just not sure. Thanks in advance.

Tom    352
As far as collision goes, spatial partitioning is used to determine which objects will potentially collide with one another, i.e., are they close enough to be worth a collision test. The partition itself does none of the actual processing. You can track with quad-tree sectors each of your objects inhabits (based on the object's position and size) and use that information to determine which other objects you'll need to test it against (using whatever method you want, probably rectangle or circle, or a combination of both). In other words, you only test against objects that occupy the same sectors.

m@    124
Say I'm testing a sector for collisions. What happens if an object/edge covers more than one sector?
Do I test the whole edge/object?
thanks