MipMaps.

Started by
2 comments, last by legalize 16 years, 6 months ago
I really am new to programming 3D. I did a test run of XNA-Spacewar. 2D Was fine. 3D caused a DeBugger to say: "This Card Does not support MipMaps" Whats a MipMap? i think i need a newer card for it but still.
Advertisement
Wow, it must be a pretty old card! Are you sure it was a card and not a PS One? :-) Anyway, mipmaps are used to reduce aliasing of large textures. Read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap
deathkrushPS3/Xbox360 Graphics Programmer, Mass Media.Completed Projects: Stuntman Ignition (PS3), Saints Row 2 (PS3), Darksiders(PS3, 360)
I know of no pc 3d card which doesn't support mipmaps - even software renderers like the GDI generic one support them - which suggests theres something else going on.

Perhaps it's using non-power-of-two sized textures? I know that only recent cards support mipmaps for NPOT textures.
Run the code in the debugger and post back exactly which call is failing. Selecting the debug runtime and enabling unmanaged debugging will also give you more information.

My free book on Direct3D: "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline"
My blog on programming, vintage computing, music, politics, etc.: Legalize Adulthood!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement