Sign in to follow this  

How to make a storyline?

This topic is 3692 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone! I've got most of my game coded in C. I want to implement the storyline next. I want to do this in Lua since I've got some experience with that, but only as a stand-alone language. I never used it as a scripting language except for a Hello World. :-) I thought this; make a Lua script for every small part of the story with a isCompleted() function that tells if the user has completed this part or not. Is this good, or is there some better way? Thanks in advance!

A good way is to have a variable, that each time a new event takes place, or is completed, the variable is advanced to a -set- number. The set is very important, don't increment it, set it TO something. Then, when a character reaches where a future event *might* happen (whether they've completed some other event) just check that variable, and make sure it's >= . This only works for linear strategies, however. Your way will likely work better for a branching or multiple storylines.

Quote:
Original post by Leo28C
I've got most of my game coded in C. I want to implement the storyline next.

I can't really answer your specific question, but I think I should let you know that in practice for writing good games, that's the first thing they tell you NOT to do.

You can code an engine just fine without a story, or even a game in mind... but coding a game and THEN adding a story is just setting yourself up for a corney / crappy game.

This topic is 3692 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.