Python + OpenGL windows

Started by
3 comments, last by derickdong 16 years, 6 months ago
Is there a stable, up to date python OpenGL implementation for windows? I've used PyOpenGL 3.0.0a6 and it just doesn't work well enough to use. Ultimately I want to be able to do GLSL and have support for all of OpenGL 2.0.
Advertisement
Quote:stable, up to date

Those are usually mutually exclusive :-)

I think you're pretty much out of luck if you need direct OpenGL bindings for Python. If you need to stay on the cutting edge, writing your graphics engine in C++, then providing an interface with boost::python can work out very well. Alternatively, Python-Ogre is excellent and actively maintained. OGRE fully supports GLSL shaders, and is evidently using NVIDIA's OpenGL 2.1.1 on my system.
In what way exactly is PyOpenGL 3.0.0a6 lacking? And is it actually any worse than the situation with C++?
I had issues with 3.x just crashing python for no reason. I had a small app that would just query the GFX card information, nothing big but even that had issues and would crash every now and then. A friend of mine was making a small game with 3.x then switched to 2.x because of the same issues. That worked for him because his game was simple.

We were using Python 2.5 for a while then switched to 2.4 for stability. I'll post the code I used later today.
I'm currently using PyOpenGL 3.0.0a6 and Python 2.5, and haven't really run into any problems. I've fooled around a bit with GLSL (not extensively, though), but it all worked without any problems. Personally, I've found it to be quite stable.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'querying the GFX card information'? Do you mean you're trying to request information about available extensions? I've been using a few extensions, and never had any problems.

And, what do you mean by crashing? Are you running your programs from a command line? Are you receiving any errors from Python when your programs end? If so, what are they? Are you certain you have all the necessary dependencies? The dependencies are different for PyOpenGL 2 and PyOpenGL 3.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement