Sign in to follow this  
TheKrust

Couple questions here about Shadow maps...

1. I have yet to see a shadow mapping sample that doesn't make use of vertex and pixel shaders. Is there a fixed-function way to preform this? 2. Does anyone know where I can find a dencent shadow mapping tutorial for directX? I would prefer a free one, but one I would have to pay for in a book will do as well. (please do not post if you're just going to flame me for not liking the SDK version) 3. How much CPU power do shadow maps take as compared to shadow volumes?

1. I have tried everything in my humanly power and it will not compile on my computer.

2. The instructions they give are next to impossible to understand if you don't already know how to do them. I am not the only one who thinks they might as well be written in chinese.

3. I have always had much better outcomes in the past through external tutorials wherever they may be located.

Yes, the SDK samples are just samples, not tutorials. They demonstrate working code, but they don't teach you how/why that code is written the way it is.

There's no (straight forward) FF way to do them (as far as I know). Seeing as all modern cards emulate the FF pipeline using shaders anyway, this shouldn't be a problem.

Shadow maps use almost no CPU time at all, unlike shadow volumes, which have traditionally* done a large amount of work on the CPU (* = in DX 10 you can do shadow volumes mostly using the GPU).

I don't have any good links handy, but google should turn up some decent results.

I have a really hard time digesting the concept that someone would genuinley belive I didn't try google...

Anyway, I've searched about 17 pages in and gave up. The only tutorials I can find are OpenGL, "theory" pages, or small chunks of code that you're supposed to insert into your program and they "magicly work". Of course, they never do.

Anyway, like I said, it doesn't have to be from the internet, but I am having a horridly hard time finding any tutorials in books even. It's extremeley frustrating when you search for a topic and it's almost like it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Original post by TheKrust
I have a really hard time digesting the concept that someone would genuinley belive I didn't try google...

Sorry, no offence intended (by possibly implying that you hadn't googled first).
I posted that link because I thought that the theory at least might provide some help in understanding the sample code...

I think GPU Gems (1, 2 and 3) has a chapter (or 2) on shadow maps, it's probably not much of an introductory tutorial though.

hmmm... GPU gems huh? You know I think I do recall something about that. I also know where I can pick one up. Thanks, but as for theory, as much as I hate it I'm a full hands on learner. I can read the theory for something and it might explain a few details that I was curious about, but I've never had it assist me in implimenting anything.