Sign in to follow this  

Winsock OS ?

This topic is 3720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I'm making a basic server to handle turn-based Flash games with lobbies and chat. Right now I'm simply compiling a console app with VS2005 and running it on Vista Ultimate (with my cable modem.) When (if) it comes time to make everything available to the general public I'll use a dedicated server at a hosting facility but what OS do I use ? Do I just use XP, Vista, Windows Server connected to the net ? I'll keep the web site itself on a FreeBSD server so it can dish out the pages and Flash apps but I still don't know where to put the server program I made. Thanks.

Quote:
I'll use a dedicated server at a hosting facility but what OS do I use ? Do I just use XP, Vista, Windows Server connected to the net ?

When you negotiate the contract for the server, they'll give you the choice of hardware and software.

FreeBSD is a frequently used OS, so are all the other common OSes.

For dedicated hosting, you usually don't mess with OS. Data center will provide you with their own copy, you just install your software.

Data centers manage their OS installations with images, so they have their OS installations prepared, and when a new machine needs to be installed, they just wipe the disk, and dump prepared image on it.

Hi,

I plan on co-locating the game server. What I'm wondering is what OS I should have for a Winsock server. I guess I can have a clean install of XP or Vista but is that smart ? Maybe I should use Windows Server ?

What do the professional companies use when running a Winsock server ?

Thanks.

Do you actually require Winsock? Then yes, a Windows Server OS is what you need.

But there's nothing wrong with Berkeley sockets + libevent, which would be appropriate on Linux or FreeBSD. A VPS is the inexpensive way to get started, until you genuinely need the extra horsepower that an independent server provides.

This topic is 3720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.