Brain fart with VB's

Started by
2 comments, last by NiteLordz 16 years, 6 months ago
ok, so i think i am having a brain fart kind of moment. what i have is animated model, and i trying to setup two different render paths, one via software matrix manipulation, and the other doing the matrix math in a shader. however, the software version is making me have the brain fart. what i think i want to do is read in teh file, gather the vertices ( pos and tex coords ) and place into one vertex buffer. this is easy enough. now, in order to animate, i need to manipulate each vertex in order to get it into place. so to do this, i am thinkin that i need to create the VB with the Usage flag of D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC, and in my update routine, i lock the vb, grab the vertices, manipulate, and then unlock the VB and render. do i have that right or am i missing something ? thanks in advance
Code makes the man
Advertisement
morning!
i don't know, but i googled animated vertex buffer and found something
Quote:
Using the R2VB based animation technique you can compute the animation in the pixel shader just once and render the animated model as many times as you need.

Using R2VB is a nice idea yk_cadcg, but really a bit overkill in this situation. It's more designed for the very high-end animation and is more of an optimization due to the lack of support in anything but the last generation of ATI/AMD D3D9 hardware.

Quote:do i have that right or am i missing something ?
Sounds about right to me. What is your problem? Getting errors? Incorrect results? What debug output are you receiving?

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

not so much that i was getting errors, i was just going thru the process in my head of what i needed to do, and last night i started coding it. i guess for once i wanted to think something out before coding.

i don't have r2vb support for the target audience of this project.

thanks for the help guys
Code makes the man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement