Sign in to follow this  
TheKrust

Shadows for scares

TheKrust    104
So a few may have read my post before, but I'm considering using my engine to make a horror based game seeing as how it is so far looking good for darker enviroments. I am currently thinking about some scare tactics to use, a lot of them involving shadows (specificly shadow volumes). Have you ever seen this in a game, it's in a lot of corney horror flicks, but I've had it happen in real life and it scared the hell out of me. Imagine a dark room made of stone, (perhaps a mideval writers room or labratory). Very dark and dimley lit with candles. You are looking at the wall that the light is going towards and all of the sudden an emourmous shadow zips across the room. You swipe around and see nothing. This happens 2 more times in different locations in the big room, but the third time, you turn around and you see a mouse sitting in front of the candel. Way to get them paranoid? I had a mouse crawl infront of a nightlight at 2 AM in the morning... If I had been any more scared I'd have to get a clean pair of boxers...

rHornbek    175
All I can really say is "DO IT."

Just don't over do it, and make sure that if your going to do it again you might want to make sure that at some point there really is a monster behind them haha.

Otaku42    112
Sounds cool, but like any trick, use it sparingly. I heard something about how the new Turok game is going to use similar ideas- many of the stones and formations have been designed to look like dinosaurs, just to screw with the player. :P Three and a half thumbs up!

JuNC    236
BioShock uses shadows for scares in quite a few places and it works really well. There are several other brilliant uses of light/dark in that game too. It works extremely well partly because it isn't overdone and is appropriately fitted into the level/story structure.

FEAR is also a good example - although the gameplay itself gets a bit dull the story and scare aspect is excellent throughout.

(no spoilers in my post, you'll have to play the games if you haven't ;)