Sign in to follow this  

Dynamic RTS

This topic is 3716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First I must say I don't play much RTS games, so maybe my idea is not new at all. The last RTS game I played was Ground Control (the first opus). In this game, a "fight" and its outcome are affected by the relative positions of the units (is the target in range of the shooter?) and their orientations (tanks have weaker shields on their rear side). I wonder if anyone had thought of including the velocity of the attacker in the equation? In the case of an RTS taking place in medieval times, I would expect that mounted units should be stronger while charging than when they are standing stuck.

Yes. IIRC The Lord of the Rings RTS by EA has exactly that. When cavalry is up to full speed they inflict more damage on infantry than when they are moving slow.

-me

The Total War serie also takes this into account. Cavalry are great for charging into infantry, and it's often much more effective to let them execute several charges instead of slowing down to fight. Unless they're facing a line of spearmen, of course. ;)

This topic is 3716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.