Newbie installation question

Started by
0 comments, last by zedz 16 years, 6 months ago
Okay, so, long story short, I had to install Vis Studio Express (2005) and needed to get OpenGL working on it. I had had it working previously on Vis Studio 2003, but haven't had any luck so far with this version. The installation instructions I've found around seem to be fairly simple. Get GLUT 3.7.6, then put glut32.dll in the Windows system folder, put glut32.lib in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio NET 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\Lib, and glut.h in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio NET 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\Include\gl. Trouble is, the express version doesn't come with a \PlatformSDK directory. I put the stuff in \VC\bin and include\Gl respectively, but still didn't have much luck. So then I heard some things about having to download the Platform SDK seperately. So I did that, and nothing. So then I read you have to run the 'register PSDK with Visual Studio' option. So I do that. It says it will rearrange the directory structure or some such jive, so I go with it. No changes in that particular directory that I can see. Oh, by the way, after I stopped gettong OpenGL link errors, I got a link error for winmm.lib. That's where I am now. So here's where I throw myself on your mercy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
A/ u have to post the errors

is it compiling correctly? i assume it is, since u have linking errors

i just had a look at my path its (express 2005)
\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\GL
\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\lib
theres also elsewhere
\Microsoft Platform SDK\Include\gl (gl should be in capitals) but i dont thin this is used

what linking errors u do have?
winmm.lib is winmultimedia lib (from memory), which i dont think is necessary for standard gl progs to run

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement