hi, im new

Started by
4 comments, last by gan 16 years, 6 months ago
hi, im new here and to this whole gaming development thing. well, anyway, im a a-level student and planning to do maths degree in university, and im really interested in this field, especially CG graphic design(like those in Final Fantasy). i've been told that maths is greatly involved, but im wondering if Pure Maths would be the right choice or do i have to doing something else like maths + mechanical engineering, civil engineering etc... also which one is the most useful and is there anything i should know before getting into this kind of career?? thanks for looking.
Advertisement
math is involved, but some form of applied mathematics would be better with regards to game development. Physics, for example, is extremely helpful. I would personally suggest some computer science or computer engineering, though you don't actually need either (I'm a sophomore computer engineering major, myself, but I've been developing games since about 8th grade).

The best advice I think I am qualified to give is to find projects you really care about and you think you can be persistent on. If there is such a thing around here as a precious commodity, it is someone who has actually been stubborn enough to finish a project [grin] (I think there was actually a poll on that about a year or so ago).

Might I ask exactly what part of game development you'd prefer to do? There are a number of people around here who can give better specialized advice.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
I'd advise looking at a mathmatics degree with a fair bit of physics. even then you would probibally have to do a lot of programing in your own time or do an MS/C in a computing subject if you wanted to get a job in the industry.

the alternative would be to study a computer science degree that focuses on games programming.

I would recommend a traditional computer science degree. In your spare time though do lots of game related programming. It's important to learn proper design methodologies in University, there's nothing worse then working on poorly designed code.
Quote:Original post by medevilenemy
Might I ask exactly what part of game development you'd prefer to do? There are a number of people around here who can give better specialized advice.

my best interest is in the graphic development, the CG stuffs. hopyfully you know what i mean as i am just completely newbie here...

Quote:Original post by Dancin_Fool
I would recommend a traditional computer science degree. In your spare time though do lots of game related programming. It's important to learn proper design methodologies in University, there's nothing worse then working on poorly designed code.

how do i get start on doing the game related programming stuffs??
Quote:Original post by raida
how do i get start on doing the game related programming stuffs??

Ultimate Game Programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement