[TO Moderators] Changes Required in Forum

Started by
10 comments, last by superpig 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi Moderators, It will be great if you put the options below in the forum page. 1. I can search only my threads. 2. I will be able to see number of replies in a table format. 3. There should be a definite method to search solved threads. 4. I will be able to list all solved threads. 5. i will be able to see a table listing all my posts when every time i logged in I don't know whether these all are already implemented or not.It will be really help full for me and for all the other users. One important thing that i want mention is when my post goes down the stack i found no body is looking to the thread and for that i have to repost the same topic again. I am not sure that a set of people is always active or looking to the posts.
Advertisement
Moving to Comments and Suggestions.
numbers 1 and 5 are available in your profile control pannel.
Do you have a suggestion for handling solved threads?

What, exactly, is a solved thread?
Who decides if the thread is solved - the OP may not have the expertise to know, and the community may not have the patience to care (and I'm sure the moderators don't, and shouldn't). What if one answer is given that works, but there are other, alternative answers that should also be known - they may never be posted if a thread is marked 'solved.'
How do you handle threads that aren't truly 'solvable' - thought puzzles, suggestions, contests, workshops, requests for advice... Are these categorized separately? If so, will being able to search for solved threads return relevant results - the answer might be in a thread posed in a not 'solvable' format.

===

It's not that I don't think it's a good idea, but it's one that will take some thought to implement well. Right now, I can't think of a method that is better than the current one for my uses.

===

As to threads that don't receive replies... the community, in many ways, is a bit market-driven. If the question is poorly designed, unanswerable, or if people can't or don't want to answer, then your thread is going to disappear. Bumping or reposting the thread with no changes may not be the best option for you, anyway.

Do you have a suggestion for handling this?

===

Something that I would like to see in the search function is this: the ability to search threads that Avatar God AND boolean have posted in.

Considering how many bloody threads some of us have posted in and the general weirdness of search returns, this would be a nice addition.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by soumya_iiitc
1. I can search only my threads.
You can browse your threads from your profile page, as noted. The ability to search is on the to-do list.

Quote:
2. I will be able to see number of replies in a table format.
You mean for your threads? Hm, ok. Noted.

Quote:
3. There should be a definite method to search solved threads.
4. I will be able to list all solved threads.
No. This has been discussed repeatedly in the past; we are not going to implement any kind of 'solved thread' system. See some of the previous threads, and Avatar God's points, for the reasons why.

Quote:5. i will be able to see a table listing all my posts when every time i logged in
You mean something that groups the topics/posts you made into sessions? That'd be interesting. Noted for the future.

Quote:One important thing that i want mention is when my post goes down the stack i found no body is looking to the thread and for that i have to repost the same topic again.
Reposting is bad; if you want to pull a thread back to the top of the forum listing, post in the thread. That said, Avatar God is absolutely right; the community will ignore questions that aren't well-asked. At the very least you could be copying your post into Word and running it through the grammar/spelling checker. This is a little unfortunate for people who aren't native English speakers, but this is ultimately a site targetted at native English speakers...

Quote:I am not sure that a set of people is always active or looking to the posts.
Unless you're asking about something particularly obscure, there is always somebody perusing either the forum you posted in or Active Topics.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I think item 5 might be interesting if it's what I think it is. It would be nice if on the front page there was a small summary of recent posts you've made with maybe a count of replies. Sure it's easy to go to your profile and bring up recent posts, but sometimes I post a topic and forget about it.
I am not a native English speaker, but it should be quite obvious to anybody that nonsense questions will not be answered. Reposting or bumping threads that had no answers should be done with care, as many of these are threads that nobody wants to read (harsh, but true). The OP reposted many of his threads 2, 3 or more times, without changing a single line of text. I find this kind of spamming quite annoying, since it pushes down the other posts that aren't repeated and which more people might want to read and answer to.

However, I do agree that it would be nice with an easier way to keep track of the posts you've read or replied to. Currently it's quite cumbersome (go to control panel -> view profile, manually check each thread there to see if there are any new replies). A list of threads you're active in and if they have new replies would be great, preferably on the front page.
One important thing that i want mention is when my post goes down the stack i found no body is looking to the thread and for that i have to repost the same topic again.

Avoid doing that - it's annoying and disrespectful. Mods typically don't like that - so you can get a warning increase, a suspension or even a ban. Bumping, reposts and cross posts are also discouraged.
I am not sure that a set of people is always active or looking to the posts.

Right now, there are 321030 people who are surfing on gdnet. If you don't get any answer to your thread, it's most likely because people don't want to answer (for various reasons). You should try to write posts that are easier to tackle with (giving more information and targeting the right forum can help).

You know, the quick response given to threads like these always makes me wonder if I shouldn't start making my posts less feasible.

"I'd really like to see <minor feature x>, and it doesn't seem to be difficult to implement. But no rush, I understand there's a long list of work for you to do."

... would become ...

"You need to do <minor feature x>. Also, please send each member one zebra per month, as this is an obviously lacking feature that is present in other forums. Perhaps I could contact the people who write your forum code?"

Maybe at least then I would get a "Hmm. Interesting, but may not happen soon." reply.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
I am listing down my idea and follow the image below:

1. create another column in the row of the table as shown in the image but in a
appropriate position.

2.retrieve the current user id from database and create this link and put the retrieved id
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/viewposts.asp?ID=119287&RestrictTo=Topics

3.you can paste this URL to see the PAGE view

4.we can also put a my search section just after "view posts" menu as shown in the
image below.

From that menu we will be able to search:

1. posts from date to date
2. list last post first or first last
3. list post according to number of replies
4. list zero replied posts and so on ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement