Sign in to follow this  
King0187

php or c++

Oluseyi    2103
English. And I'm not even kidding.

High-level languages exist to facilitate structured communication between programmers, first. Good programmers spend more time reading code than they do writing it. Learning English well - or whatever your native language is - helps you to reason better, which leads to better structured phrasing in your code.

In terms of programming languages, I recommend Python because it lets you focus on learning programming concepts with minimal emphasis on notation. Your mileage will vary. That doesn't mean I think Python is the "best"; in fact, I don't think "best" is a meaningful comparison here, frankly. My first programming language was QBASIC, and for all its shortcomings, it was a great introduction.

Between PHP and Java, PHP is easier to get into while Java has wider applicability, generally. PHP is a pretty poorly designed language, though, and you're likely to pick up a lot of bad habits which you'll later have to unlearn.

Pick a language, stick to it and work hard. Happy hacking!

Oluseyi    2103
Aww, come on! You changed the languages on me!

Neither language is "better." They're both decent in their specialty domains - C++ for systems-level software, PHP for carefully designed and implemented web applications. Outside their specialty domains, they're both pretty shitty. C++ is harder to learn for beginners, and more complex overall. PHP has less structure and a legacy of plenty of bad code (and bad tutorials/articles) on the web.

What do you want to do? That's what should determine the toolchain to use.

Capoeirista    3266
Languages are tools and it's a programmers job to select the right tool for the right application.

PHP is typically used as a server side scripting language, it's what it's designed for and make writing web pages that access databases a relatively simple task.

C++ is much more suited for stand alone applications and games.

binchawpz    390
And here I am expecting face-melting burns from Oluseyi for King asking such an inane question. Better for what? Those two languages don't even compare. They have completely different goals, designs, and methods. I pity whoever designs and hardcodes a "dynamic" web server in C++, as well as whoever attempts to create Quake XVII in PHP. I think rephrasing the question is in order.