Sign in to follow this  

text replace question for Unix masters

This topic is 3717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Barring opening up an editor and doing search replace, I was hoping that a nix master could tell me how to do the following on set of files: I would like to replace: "Delete ptr;" with "Delete(ptr)" and "Delete []ptr;" with "DeleteArray(ptr)" where ptr can be any C++-identifier... I was thinking of somehow using sed, but then I was not too sure how to go about it... [lex/flex are also an option, but they seem like overkill for such a simple operation] Best Regards

I did look at sed, but as I am quite unfamilary with it, I was not too sure how to manage, I though: replace "Delete []ptr;" with "Delete_array(ptr)", so the string to replace would be: "Delete []"*";", and maybe the correct sed command would then be, I thought:

sed 's/Delete \[\]*;/Delete_array(&);/' < InFile.cpp > OutFile.cpp

but that did not do anything... but alas I realized that I should be using .* and not *, at the end of the day 3 sed commands piped together did the full job of replacing "Delete ptr;" with "Delete(ptr)" and "Delete []ptr;" with "Delete_array(ptr);"

sed 's/\(Delete \[\]\)\(.*\);/delete_array(\2);/g' $1 | sed 's/\(Delete\)\(.*\);/Delete(\2);/g' | sed 's/delete_array/Delete_array/g'

but atleast I learned sed better :)

Also, you could have called sed only once by writing:

sed 's/\(Delete \[\]\)\(.*\);/delete_array(\2);/g; 
s/\(Delete\)\(.*\);/Delete(\2);/g;
s/delete_array/Delete_array/g;' $1

Sign in to follow this