The Game Industry: Getting a Job

Started by
47 comments, last by RobTheBloke 16 years, 5 months ago
I have been part of the gamedev community for a while now. Today I registered a new account to see if I can help out and give back. I can assist you in deciding what kind of job, how to get it, and what to ask for. I am currently the Recruitment Manager at a large-scale MMO developer that is expanding exponentially. I have worked at several triple-A developers in the same position as well as in some other capacities. Need resume or portfolio help? Not sure what you need as qualifications or experience to move on to the next step? Do you have some questions about the video game industry? Just a quick disclaimer; this is advice based on my experience and from the experience of others around me. It's by no means the best and only advice to follow. You can use it or not, and that's the great part about advice! Ask away! [Edited by - NanoH on October 12, 2007 10:59:15 AM]
Advertisement
Ok, here's one. In your case since you work with a company that is doing a MMO, which I can only assume is RPG based, what is the best route of getting on with the team as a game balance designer, also, what is more important, degree, or solid portfolio?
Hi NanoH,

I'm glad to see that you're wanting to give back and what I'm about to ask is not intended as an insult in any way. You say that you've been a part of the gamedev community and have worked with several triple-A developers. Congrats, this is a large feat in itself! However, you don't list any of your credentials and I find that odd. I think listing specifics would help others learn more about you and be more likely to seek your help. Care to share?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude, its just that I've been on this forum for a decent amount of time (over a year) and haven't come across you or your work yet.

I'm a professional composer-sound designer who has worked on Nintendo DS, Sony PSP , web based and PC video games. I also work a great deal in the anime sector. To learn more about me and my work check out: www.madsenstudios.com

If you know of any audio positions, I'm always interested!

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Sephyx- A solid portfolio is WAY more important than a degree, every single time. Every company I've worked for (both large and small) has been more concerned about WHAT I can do rather than where or what I studied.

Now the important question for you to ask is: do you have to get the degree to be able to have a solid, professional demo? That depends on you. Some people can learn everything on their own and don't have to study at college or trade schools. Others completely fall apart in that environment and have to attend some formal school. Only you know what category you fall into.

Best of luck!

Nathan

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Quote:Original post by nsmadsen
However, you don't list any of your credentials and I find that odd. I think listing specifics would help others learn more about you and be more likely to seek your help. Care to share?

yep, same thing i was waiting for. Not to be rude, but we get lots of "pretenders" around here.
However, i believe your advice will speak for itself, hard to pretend to be knowledgeable.
Here's one for you, what kind of qualifications are developers looking for in each of these applications?
1.)Photoshop
and
2.)3ds max

It would be interesting to know what skills to focus on.

Next i have been wondering, how much would a completed game under my belt, before my actual career starts, count? Meaning i am currently in a very good position to have a completed project, and am curious how much this would help my chances of landing a job. I figure it will increase my chances, just wondering how much.

Next what is the best media and method for showing one's portfolio? If purely computer based what methods would you recommend?

i'm sure i ahev lots more, but must get some sleep.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by nsmadsen
Sephyx- A solid portfolio is WAY more important than a degree, every single time. Every company I've worked for (both large and small) has been more concerned about WHAT I can do rather than where or what I studied.

Now the important question for you to ask is: do you have to get the degree to be able to have a solid, professional demo? That depends on you. Some people can learn everything on their own and don't have to study at college or trade schools. Others completely fall apart in that environment and have to attend some formal school. Only you know what category you fall into.

Best of luck!

Nathan

A self-taught with portfolio, but no degree, has good chances of getting a job in the game industry?
My MSN: gerunbaum@hotmail.com
I'm watching this thread. If NanoH proves not to be who he says he is, I'll be happy to answer your questions for you and put the smack down on him at the same time.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Quote:Original post by GPxz
A self-taught with portfolio, but no degree, has good chances of getting a job in the game industry?

And does this apply for programmers?
Sure, I don't mind sharing some of my portfilio and resume. I didn't want it to seem like I am currently advertising our project, which I'm sure is a common thing on large forums.

I am, at the moment, the HR/RM for Utherverse Digital. We are an MMO/Constant Reality company that has currently over-taken SL and is expanding exponentially. You can e-mail me at nanoh@utherverse.com or ICQ me, 3635580 if you have specific questions that you don't want to post on a public board. I'm at this company to be ground floor in something huge and because of the company culture.

I have worked for several large companies, both Canadian and American, and if you would like to talk about my experience and how it can help you make better decisions, please feel free to contact me. I don't feel comfortable having my Resume or Portfolio public, but if you would like to view it, don't be afraid to send me a message! I am more than willing to share if it can help others attain their goals, which is why I love my position.

I have been a long-time lurker and short time poster, as is apparant. ;)

I'll answer the rest of the questions in short order as soon as I'm done some typing.

Quote:Original post by Giedrius
Quote:Original post by GPxz

And does this apply for programmers?
IF you can get anyone to look at your application... that's the big problem. When you get 10 applications a day you can't afford to play every demo - you skim the CV/resume and make a very quick decision if it's interesting. Anything negative is enough to get you skipped. I guess a good recruitment firm might me able to get you over this hurdle.

This is all programmer-based - I don't know how it works for artists.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement