C# or Visual Basic.Net

Started by
5 comments, last by dillscon 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi guys I start learning .Net but i wonder which one i'm going to learn? 1: C# 2: Visual Basic.Net. Please tell me which one is hotter. Someone told me that C# is better, but some told me that Visual Basic.Net is better, but i did searched on "Job Search" websites, it seems to be C# is more than Visual Basic.Net. Please tell me some about C#. I never heard of this one before. Does C# have any similar with C++? Thanks,
Advertisement
Don't worry which one is "hotter", pick the one whose syntax you like more and go with that. Neither one is more powerful (they both compile into MSIL and run the same way) and both have just about the same library set. So either way you'll be able to do the same thing. As for which is used more, depends on company. Some companies like VB.NET; other's prefer C#. I like C# more, but I'm a big fan of curly brackets and the general C-family style of syntax.
Plus, once you learn one, you can pickup the other one in no time. I find the VB.NET syntax a little easier for beginners.
-----------------------------------------------“The best, most affordable way to save the most lives and improve overall health is to increase the number of trained local, primary healthcare workers.”Learn how you can help at www.ghets.org
Quote:Original post by ItsDan
Plus, once you learn one, you can pickup the other one in no time. I find the VB.NET syntax a little easier for beginners.

Yup there are even code translators available that convert your vb.net code to C# and viceversa since they are like 99% identical.
I've used both and if you've programmed before in C/C++ or Java you'll find C# more familiar since it uses braces for code blocks whereas VB uses sub/end sub instead.
If you plan on making XNA games might as well start with C# since that is the default supported language for using XNA.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
personally I've grown used to VB.net's verboseness and how it ignores things like case and semicolons, but I agree in the end it doesn't really matter, as it's just syntax
Quote:Original post by eedok
personally I've grown used to VB.net's verboseness and how it ignores things like case and semicolons, but I agree in the end it doesn't really matter, as it's just syntax

It does get kinda irritating if you do alot of VB.net for a while or C++ as I do and then you keep getting dumb simple syntax errors like adding a semicolon to the end of a statement in VB since you get so used to ending a line with a semicolon-LOL.
And VB does seem to make you lazy since it does alot of the work for you like automatically capitalizing things so I don't even bother with capitalizing most of the time in VB but it can bite you in the butt later because Myvariable and myvariable is the same to VB! And no need to bother typing braces either since VB adds all necessary code for your sub's etc. and intellisense seems to go into overdrive with VB not to mention edit and continue is cool although I think they finally added that to C# and C++?
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I think if you learned C# you would be able to adapt to other languages better later on. Plus with something like mono you could even write code for other platforms too.

As far as which one is easier I guess that depends on your background or lack there of.

I started to learn VB and then noticed C# and how it was much more similar to C. So I started to learn C# instead. VB seems to have more of a scripting syntax.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement