My first post: What programming language should I start out with?

Started by
29 comments, last by ToohrVyk 16 years, 6 months ago
Hey I'm new here! I was just wondering..what language do you guys suggest I start learning?
Advertisement
Do you know any already?

If not, then try python.
I have a small experience with Visual Basic..and even less with C++. But that was about 5 years ago...what is python like? Is it worth it to learn?
Use the search feature. This question is asked at least twice a day. The general answer is "whichever you feel comfortable in". It doesn't really matter what language, learn to program. Once you learn one language it's usually quite trivial to learn another.
Depends what you want to do... for game programming you'll probably want to look in to C++, for web based programming PHP. I'd reccommend C++, once you feel comfortable with it any other language is relatively easy to pick up.
I recommend that people do not choose C++ as a first language. It is ridiculously complex. Beginners learning C++ spend most of their time learning complicated syntax and trying to figure out incomprehensible error messages rather than learning how to program.

Python is a better choice, as is Java and perhaps C#. All three can be used to make games.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
I am rather fond of C# for beginners. It is pretty easy to learn. You can jump into either Windows or Game programming pretty easy with it.

theTroll
I dont see why people dont like C++. If you are intelligent enough it isnt too hard to start with C++ plus its a great assett if you learn it correctly.
Or you can search this website for that exact question, and find that it has literally been asked about a hundred times a month since time began, and there are a number of usual suspects that tend to pop up every time. The big answer though?

Learn something. Anything.

It's a piece of cake to transition from one language to another. Just pick one that interests you, and learn it. It's a matter of preference.
well i wouldnt necessarily call it a piece of cake. but thats what i meant by THE PROGRAMMER MAKES THE GAME not the programming language. just choose one mentioned here and start with it. Most of these are all good. Most people here are all opinionated and will only tell you the good things about the languages they like and the bad things about others. All languages have there ups and downs and its your job to make use of them. From what ive seen is C++ is one of those languages that you should learn eventually and every good programmer has learned or looked at. But its not necessarily something to start with. If you try it out and don't think its that hard then stick with it. but like i said just choose one and stick with it.
Your first couple of months or so of programming you should just try out a couple of languages or stick to a basic one to learn basic programming. What most people do is go directly into game programming here which isnt always a good thing. If I were you i would choose a langauge and spend at least a month learning basic programming before you even think of learning to program even a simple 2d game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement