Please Help (D3D C++ Low-Level)

Started by
1 comment, last by JohnBolton 16 years, 6 months ago
Hello, I am a noob game programmer, and need help with a program in the tutorial book I bought that is not working. It will build without problems, however whenever I try to run it, it shows this error: Unhandled exception at 0x0042712a in Paddle_Game.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000. It tells me that the problem is most likely in these lines, however, I am not sure... int Init_Mouse(HWND hwnd) { //set the data format for mouse input HRESULT result = dimouse->SetDataFormat(&c_dfDIMouse); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; If I have not posted enough for you to figure this out or you do know how to fix this, please reply.
Advertisement
Just for a heads up. since this is Directx 3d i suggest reposting or moving it to the Directx topic. And excuse my ignorance if the D3D stands for something else.
Quote:Original post by nintendomstr
Unhandled exception at 0x0042712a in Paddle_Game.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

"access violation" means a bad memory address.
Reading from address 0x00000000 generally means that a pointer has the value 0 (which is usually, if not always, invalid).

The only pointer in the code you posted is dimouse, so it is probably the invalid pointer. Set a breakpoint at the line with the error to see if that is the cause. Then find out why the pointer has an invalid value.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement