need advice please ..

Started by
2 comments, last by TheKrust 16 years, 6 months ago
hi, i am currently working as a Datawarehousing Business Intelligence programmer with a MNC.i did my bachelors in Computer Science. i just complete the course 5 months back. had amateur interest in opengl in college days and did spend some time working with opengl specially shaders. but now i want to again start with opengl in my spare time. i also want to do masters 1 or 2 years down then line. so wanted your suggestion like being a programmer what can i start with specifically in opengl, something that doesnt need a team to develope and can make a difference to my resume when i apply for masters please help with this if possible, will be grateful for your suggestions thanks
Advertisement
I would honestly invest your time in DirectX rather than OpenGL. It is far more mainstream for professinal games. It is true that more classes are available for GL, but I think that may have more to do with legal issues than anything else.

Anyway, it does take a team to develop a 3D game that is worth playing (unless you've got some serious skill), but a 3D engine is certainly not out of your grasp. If you can create a 3D engine (bearing in mind that is does not have to run a 3D game per-say, you will have no problem finding people to script with you and for you. That will help you create a project you can be proud of.

I do suggest that you stick to a 2D game, but it would not be wise to make an engine that can only do 2D. If you decide to revert back to 3D, it's just like starting over again... takes a lot of patience.
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
thanks for the suggestion
will look into it
my last interaction with DirectX was when i used DirectShow for making a player with certain features
havent tried out Direct3D though, so you suggest trying out a 2d game engine first ..
what about other aspects of game building like level loading etc.. or the roles are assumed by different people nothing specific
If you already have experience with DirectX in general, wonderful. The API tends to remain in the same format across the different parts. Yes, Direct3D would be your best bet for a 3D or 2D game. Although Direct Draw is built for 2D games and is fairly easy to use, I would advise against using it. It's frankly kind of a waste of valuble time. Skill you learn in Direct Draw will scarcley carry over into direct3D and you will be forced to start over in a way. Making a 2D game with Direct3D is a great start.

As for level loading, saving, custom file storage, ect. you wont have to worry about those for a while. They can be added in later and are fairly simple compared to the graphic tecniques you'll be using.
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement