Sign in to follow this  
DeadlyDan

Colour Overlay On Texture

Hi guys, i'm using the d3d8 sprite class to render a texture, the texture is greyscale and i wish to "overlay" colour through rendering. I've looked into direct3d render states and texture stages and spent many hours fiddling about with it but never quite reaching the results i wanted. Before i call the "Draw" function of the sprite class inbetween "Begin" and "End" i call the follow commands:
	Backbones.GetDevice ( )->SetTextureStageState ( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP,   D3DTOP_MODULATE );
	Backbones.GetDevice ( )->SetTextureStageState ( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE );
	Backbones.GetDevice ( )->SetTextureStageState ( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2, D3DTA_TFACTOR );

Backbones.GetDevice ( )->SetTextureStageState ( 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP,   D3DTOP_MODULATE );
	Backbones.GetDevice ( )->SetTextureStageState ( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE );
	Backbones.GetDevice ( )->SetTextureStageState ( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TFACTOR );

Backbones.GetDevice ( )->SetRenderState ( D3DRS_TEXTUREFACTOR, D3DCOLOR_ARGB ( 255, 0, 0, 255 ) );
The Alpha code works fine ,when i change the value it modified the texture alpha fine. But when the colour ops are called, the texture appears black. I've tried SetRenderState ( D3DRS_LIGHTING, FALSE ) but doesn't seem to change anything. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks :) [b]EDIT[b] Very typical, i've spent hours trying out loads of different things, i finally resort to getting help and i solved it simply by changing [b]D3DTOP_MODULATE[b/] on the colour ops to D3DTOP_ADD. Thanks for reading :)

try this;

->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1 );
->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TFACTOR );
->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1 );
->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TFACTOR );

and now set color:

->SetRenderState( D3DRS_TEXTUREFACTOR, 0xFFFF0000 );