Which MS Visual Studio to get?

Started by
16 comments, last by paulecoyote 16 years, 6 months ago
I'm gonna recommend Visual C++ Express Edition 05 and if you want to try the latest try there Visual C++ Express Edition 08 Orcas Edition.

I recommend these 2, for I have worked in Visual C++ 05 and I know of the rigorous setup task of installing a library or at one point what a rigorous task it was to setup libraries like SDL, and Allegro, and in Visual C++ 08 there is hardly any work, just throw the binaries in the correct folder, and link them.

If you are using it for a learning purpose instead of a just means of diving into it and see what you can do then I would download and install

Visual C++ Express Edition 05
Visual C++ SP1
PSDK
Visual Studio 05 SP1

I say this, because from what I have seen there is a majority of people who use this setup at least at my school and small group of friends of programmers

Hope this helps!

Advertisement
Thanks code4fun!

O.K., here's the million dollar question:
Can all the required files needed for Visual C++ 2005 Express be downloaded to be burnt to CD or to install on a machine without internet access?

There is a trick for doing this with Internet Explorer Downloads:
First download the little installer .exe, called "ie6setup.exe"
or something like that, to, let's say to C:\Downloads

Then, open START --> Run --> and type:
C:\Downloads\ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"""

(Here, ie6setup.exe is your original installer file and ie6wzd.exe is some secondary installer file created or unpacked when running ie6setup.exe. - Never mind the location of the second file, it's always found.)

What happens is that ie6setup.exe gets executed, but instead of directly installing the files and then deleting them, it stores them at a location which it will ask, then you can install them whenever you want.

I tried this with the installer file for Visual C++ 2005 Express:
--> START --> Run --> and type:
C:\Downloads\vcsetup.exe /c:"setup.exe /d /s:""#E"""
(setup.exe seems to be the relevant file unpacked to your local user's temp dir.)
But this gives an error message that some Windows Installer 3.1 .msi file is missing.

Hmmm. I guess this really would be a windows guru question though.

Does anyone know how to install Visual C++ 2005 Express on a Windows 2000 machine without Internet access? (I also like to have what I use burnt on a disk in case Micro$oft decides to jank their files off their servers when they feel it's time to buy a new operating system for EVERYONE now.)

If not, never mind. I'll either have to just do that damned online-installation or go out and buy something or whatever.

Regards,
Mark

[Edited by - Markie on October 14, 2007 5:40:04 AM]
You can download an ISO version of VS2005 EE to burn to a CD for offline installation. Here's the link.

I did this a while ago to avoid the time involved in reinstalling VS if I had to reformat and it works fine. Any updates since you got the ISO should just come down as part of automatic update.

The PSDK and DXSDK can just be burned to disk as they are as they come in stand-alone exe installers.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
VC 6.0 is a terrible compiler, don't use it - really.

Why? I have it?
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused
You can download an ISO version of VS2005 EE to burn to a CD for offline installation. There's a link somewhere on the same page you download the web installer.

AWESOME[attention]

YES!!!

The link was hidden in the "Support" section referenced at the bottom.
The "Support" link at the bottom of the C++ 2005 Express download page takes you to support where there is a link to "Manual Installation Instructions".
That link will take you where you can download the full ISO file here:
msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/express/aa718401.aspx

Thanks a ton!!
:-))) [smile]

(I don't know what PSDK is or where to download the DirextX SDK, but I guess I can figure that out myself - hopefully. ;-)

THANKS! [attention] [attention]

Regards,
Mark

PSDK is the Platform Software Development Kit and is required to compile and build Win32 applications. It does not come with Express Edition by default and is a bit tricky to install. Steve posted this link above to the definitive guide.

The DXSDK is required for compiling and building DirectX based applications, such as Direct3D.
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused
The DXSDK is required for compiling and building DirectX based applications, such as Direct3D.

Thanks again!
:-)

You said DXSDK comes in a stand-alone installer, right?
Where can I download that?
(I can't find nothing on Microsoft pages... *shesh*.)

EDIT: Ooops...
Sorry, JUST found it! It's here:
DirectX Software Development Kit

Regards,
Mark
Quote:Original post by marius1930
Quote:Original post by paulecoyote
Side note, Windows 2000 isn't really properly supported anymore. Targeting XP & Vista would be better.

You would exclude the entire windows 2000 userbase on the basis that it's not "properly supported"?
How long will windows xp be "properly supported", and how does a win2k <-> vista ratio truly compare?

Avoiding xact and agaia is pretty much all it takes to get it running on Windows 2000, unless required, there is absolutely no reason not to target it.

Not at all... if you can you should obviously... I was pointing out how challenging it potentially could be. Anything other then security updates and serious bug fixes with existing stuff is all that MS are going to release for 2000 now. The latest IE, DX DSK and Platform SDK don't even install on 2K anymore.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement