Newbie asking for some help

Started by
4 comments, last by BrunoNL 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post :D. I love computers, and I love games, so I want to make games myself. I have pretty much experience with computers and a little bit of programming ( I don't know if html can be called programming). I chose to learn C++ but I'm a little confused now. I don't understand what I have to do, I can learn C++, but no tutorial tells my how to make games with it. I know about game engines, but I can't find a good tutorial which explains me the links between the programming language, the engine and direct x etc. Can anyone explain me the links between these things, and/or show me a good tutorial which explains it? Cya, Bruno
Advertisement
First of all, it's going to take you some time to start making games. At first you will have to start with simple programs. No big deal though, once you're done with the basics and jump to a graphic API(like SDL or OenGL) everything should start to run smoother.

I would like to point you to some tutorials, but the ones I've used to learn are all in portuguese (although the first lessons have an english version).
The website was http://agnor.gamedev-pt.net (in case anyone is interested)

You can try http://www.cplusplus.com/ (not sure if it has good tutorials, but it has them)
NeHe are pretty good if you want to look at examples. It incrementally builds up to more complicated things so working through the first 10 or so and editing them to try out new things is a good way to learn.
Hello,

Before you can learn how to make games you have to learn the language. I would advise you to look through the book reviews on this site to find some books. Most of the tutorials on the internet that is teaching C++ either do not explain things a lot, or contain false information. While you are learning the language I would advise you to make simple programs and games. Some games will be tic-tac-toe, hangman, guess the number, and et cetera. Then you would have to pick a graphics api and learn it. Some examples are DirectX, SDL, and OpenGL. Then you could possibly start trying to program a graphic game in C++. I will let you know it will take a while. Best of luck to you!

~Carl J. Loucius
If you want to learn to use OpenGL, check out my website. I step you though how to make a 3D FPS game engine.
thanks for the tips :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement