cant find a distro that works

Started by
15 comments, last by bobwrit 16 years, 5 months ago
At this point all I can say is bring your PC to your next local installfest, if you want a fully functioning linux, it'll be your only hope.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by 3fast3furious
Why is linux hardware support so shotty when windows works on everything I've ever tried?

Mostly because the hardware vendors supply drivers for Windows, but not for Linux. Why do they supply Windows drivers? Because Windows represents the majority of the market for most devices, so ensuring that their devices work perfectly with Windows is more important (and profitable). For select devices that have much larger relative Linux audiences, the vendors provide first-class kernel modules themselves.

Before you try another distro, itemize all the hardware that you have and check how well supported they are under Linux. Of particular support are your network adapter and graphics card. Based on how stable the drivers are, and how long it's been out there, you can gauge how well your machine will be supported.

Happy hacking.
Quote:they got it to work with turning one of the cores off and there is no way I'm doing that

Got what to work? The Live CD or the full install? I can't really imagine Fedora not being able to run on a Cure Duo. Most likely it's just the Live CD that doesn't work with it. Just turn off one core, install from the lice CD, update to an appropriate core duo supported kernel and turn your second core back on.

PS: I have a code duo laptop and Debian Etch does just fine with it.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Well I almost gave up with openSuse 10.3, but I finally (after all day of googling) got my computer connected to the internet. Now I just need to figure out how to install the correct ati drivers (mobility x1400) but the tutorials I have read so far look a little over my head since I am only a beginner linux user. http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/10/11/opensuse-103-amdati-drivers-installation/ Is it really that tough to install drivers? eek
Quote:Original post by 3fast3furious
Well I almost gave up with openSuse 10.3, but I finally (after all day of googling) got my computer connected to the internet. Now I just need to figure out how to install the correct ati drivers (mobility x1400) but the tutorials I have read so far look a little over my head since I am only a beginner linux user. http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/10/11/opensuse-103-amdati-drivers-installation/ Is it really that tough to install drivers? eek

It shouldn't be all that tought to install video drivers under Linux these days since nvidia/ati provide binary drivers nowadays.
Now when I first started messing with different distros like redhat 5.0 and Suse 6.0 back in the day you had to spend hours figuring out how to get xwindows working by downloading the kernel source and compiling raw source with ./configure, make, make install ,etc and then manually editing your Xconfig file blah blah blah.
But yeah I had some dejavu with all that nitemare trying to get wireless to work under several flavors of Linux so the problems with wireless are well known if you don't stick with chipsets that are supported and known to work already.
I did get my wireless linksys/netgear usb stick to work under 64bit Ubuntu after much work and I couldn't even tell you how to do if I tried since I wouldn't had to write down everything I tried/did to remember how I did it!
Oh and I had to disable WPA on my wireless router to do it too.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Finally! I got my graphics drivers to work on my laptop! Now I can view everything in native resolution. Thanks for the help!
I would recomend using puppy linux. It's fast,it just work's for me, and it's small but full.
-------------------------------------------------my forum LINK: here

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement