Problem with cloth in 3DSMax

Started by
3 comments, last by VotaVader 16 years, 6 months ago
I'm trying to do a sort of jedi robe for a character in 3DSMax and I've already cut out the pieces of cloth and put them around the character mesh, done the seams and adjusted the material and colision parameters (I used the Garment Maker and Cloth modifiers on the splines). The problem is that when I run the local simulation (with or without gravity), the cloth goes right through the character mesh until it's clinging to just 2 points somewhere inside the arms. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong? I've obviously selected the mesh as a colision object and I've tried the animation with many different settings (with/without sewing springs, etc.). The example from the 3DSMax tutorials works perfectly (the one where a shirt is made for a jester), but I can't find where I'm going wrong in my own project. Thanks for any help on this.
Advertisement
Did you add the character to the cloth modifier settings? When you do cloth the way I've always done it is to get your cloth mesh and put on it a cloth modifier (the cloth one near the top of the list) and then add the properties for the cloth and also the collision mesh in the cloth properties. If that doesn't do it then maybe these will help...

Make shirts
Make a bed
THE BEST LINK! Videos straight from Autodesk on the very same thing...
Yeah, the thing is that I did a lot of tutorials like that and I did add the character to de cloth collision objects, but it still doesn't work...
Have you actually done the original tutorials and gotten them to work?

Anyway, unless its animated for pre-rendered piece, its a much better idea to model the robe yourself.
-------------www.robg3d.com
Yes, I have done the tutorials and they work. You mean model the robe without the garment and cloth modifiers? Wouldn't that be very complicated?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement