Sign in to follow this  
Jolle226

[solved] Getting started with directX

Hi all, After focussing on C++ for a while, I decided it's time for a next step: Getting into directX. After a google search I foun the drunken hyena website (http://www.drunkenhyena.com/cgi-bin/directx.pl), and I decided to follow the steps pointed out there. Hoewever, when I try to compile his programs, I get the following error: 1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'dxerr9.lib' I tried setting up directX like this: 1) Install Visual Studio 2005. 2) Install the directX august 2007 SDK. 3) In Visual Studio: tools -> options -> projects and solutions -> VC++ directories -> add the Include and Lib directories from the directX SDK to 'Include files' and 'Library files', respectively. 4) Download various source codes from the drunken hyena website and try to compile them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. - Jolle [Edited by - Jolle226 on October 14, 2007 6:13:25 AM]

if you haven't already done so...
you have to go to the linker and put in the following line
[project] -> [project properties] -> configuration -> linker -> input

in the input line manually put in all the lib files

d3d9.lib, d3d9x.lib, dxerr9.lib, dxguid.lib, dinput8.lib...

these library file can be found with in directx sdk...
as many as you need to use...

-------------------------------
Noobs help each other

Thanks for the reply. I have done as you said, and I still get the same error: The linker cannot open a certain file. However, the file it cannot open is always the file I put first under the library files. I put d3d9.lib as the first item on the list, so my error is "1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'd3d9.lib'." now.

Just to be sure, the field I put all those library file names in is called 'additional dependencies', right?

Any other ideas?

Today, I decided to take a less subtle approach: I uninstalled and reinstalled both Visual Studio and the directX SDK, and for some reason it is working fine now :). Thanks for your help with that linker step, NoobApmHacksMap.