Sign in to follow this  
ehudros

Objects sliding horizontally (no friction)

Hi :) if anyone here is using the chipmunk 2d engine and can help, please read below... I have a basic "floor" shape and body as seen in the moon buggy tutorial which is totally horizontal and flat. Balls are bouncing from the top of the screen towards the floor with no elasticity and fricition value of 5.0. instead of losing speed upon impact and stopping, the slide as if on an ice plain towards the left part of the screen and then hit another wall and stop. Im only guessing this has something to do with the tangent of the floor being 0 cand thus causing all sorts of pain but i think i might just be missing something obvious here. has anyone come across such an issue? thanks a lot! Ehud

I have no experience with the Chipmunk engine, but I might be able to offer some advice:

Are you sure the balls are sliding and not rolling? When a ball hits the ground the friction will apply a torque and the ball will start rotating until it's rotating at such a rate that the contact patch between the ball and the ground has a velocity of zero relative to the ground, resulting in no effective friction, and the ball will roll forever. This may be what you're seeing.

If the ball is literally just sliding and not rotating at all then I have no idea what's wrong.