Sign in to follow this  
YZK

How to calculate the new move distance when two OBB box are collision?

The question is this: Suppose two OBB box: A,B A is still. B is move along Vector P, move distance is 10.0, and B hit A if not limit move distance of B , so we should find a new distance to avoid this. How to get it? Can get someting from 15 steps of seperate aixs test?

if I understand your question correctly, then you need to use the momentum law.
if its an elastic collision then this should help you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_collision

Project both OBBs to the axis of P. From there it is easy to see how far apart A and B are in the direction of movement.

Quote:
Original post by Vorpy
Project both OBBs to the axis of P. From there it is easy to see how far apart A and B are in the direction of movement.
I don't think that's right - the boxes could be oriented in such a way that their projections onto P intersect before the boxes themselves do.

@The OP: To find the first time of intersection you'll want to use a continuous or 'swept' version of the SAT.

Try googling 'swept separating axis test' or 'continuous separating axis test' for more info.

Hmm...I don't know what I was thinking.

The swept separating axis test is definitely what's needed here. You compute the times at which the objects begin and end intersecting on each axis. The collisions happen after all the axes are intersecting, so the time that the last intersection begins is the time of collision. There is no collision if the latest intersection start time is greater than the earliest intersection end time.