Does a 2D-3D tut exist?

Started by
9 comments, last by hughiecoles 16 years, 6 months ago
So the famous Google has finally let me down... or im just not searching right... Background: i took a class on VB, i have modded Battlefield 1942, BF: Vietnam and Halo 2. I have mapped for Steam's Counter-Strike Condition Zero and Day of Defeat. I'm in the process of learning C++ from the Help Files in the Dev-Cpp compiler. I would like to dive head first into the game devlopment world but i need some help- Where do i find a tutorial that goes from "I just learned the language 2D games" all the way to "Advanced super amazing 3D of death" (ok, ok, so maybe not those exact words- but still!) I posted something like this but it seems i really need some help...: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=468183 (i dont know the html code... all i know is this
Advertisement
You will want to learn Direct3D or OpenGL - even if it is a 2d game, these are the ways to go. You could also try a wrapper library like Allegro or SDL.
O.o

That was way over my head...

So ive been looking at OpenGL- it looks exactly like C++ (im sorry if i sound absolutly stupid) Does this mean i have to know 2 languages??!?! :( Can't a game be written in C++? if so why use OpenGL?

Is a wrapper library different then a normal one? can i put all my libraries in one spot or well my compiler come to get me?

So... Many... Things... To... Learn... :O

Thanks though :D
Quote:Original post by Noviceman
O.o

That was way over my head...

So ive been looking at OpenGL- it looks exactly like C++ (im sorry if i sound absolutly stupid) Does this mean i have to know 2 languages??!?! :( Can't a game be written in C++? if so why use OpenGL?

Is a wrapper library different then a normal one? can i put all my libraries in one spot or well my compiler come to get me?

So... Many... Things... To... Learn... :O

Thanks though :D

OpenGL is an API , not a language.

a wrapper library is basically a library that wraps up the functionality from one or more lower level libraries in a nice and easy to use package.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Finally something makes sense... Whats an API? :(
http://www.gamedev.net/dict/search.asp?Term=API
Quote:Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.
an API is basicly a library of code that allows you to do things that a language, (in this case C++) wasn't built to do, like graphics, if you want to learn to program using graphics, i suggest learning C++ prooperly for at least a couple months, check out cplusplus.com, and cprogramming.com , then move on to SDL, its a 2D API.

www.lazyfoo.net is by far the best resource online for SDL, and he also teaches the fundamentals of game development as well as i've seen. that site also gives you a brief intro to openGL, which is one of the 2 standard 3D APIs(the other one being DirectX) lazy foo has one openGL tutorial right now, as well as a set of 8 articles he's planning to release in the next couple days, but once you get through all he has to offer, you'll know alot more about the direction you wanna go in

hope i was helpful

EDIT: by the way, the reason you should do 2D before 3D is because as a beginner, 2D will blow your mind, and 3D is so much more complex than 2D that its definatly not for someone without some experience under their belt.
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Whoa...

That really helped me. I'm off to go learn
Your question is equivalent to "How do I find a tutorial that tells me how to go from making paper airplanes to jet fighters?" The answer: there is none. And there never will be one. People go to 4 years of college to learn this - and even then they're novices. One doesn't just read three pages to become the next Carmack. Books are written on very small fractions of this topic.

There is no such tutorial. There might be ones that give you some vague overview, but they aren't really worth it. Just start learning. And don't go too fast.
Thanks, im going to start- just got to variables :D . I want to become good and i know its going to take time- but i found what i was looking for; the right track to start on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement