Sign in to follow this  
SiS-Shadowman

Lightrays

I'm curious how to implement rays of light. I'm thinking of an effect like this or something you the ones you can see in F.E.A.R. when volumetric lighting is enabled. Yann L stated that he used some sort of trapezoid with a 1D texture wich is blended over the clouds. But what does this exactly mean? I assume the 1D texture will provide the alpha value for the trapezoid. But is this all the magic? I guess that for Volumetric lighting, I need to construct some sort of volume, that extrudes from an emitter. But how do I need to shade the volume? Assuming the emitter is a simple quad, the volume would look like a pyramid with a cut of top. How do I calculate the color value for each texel of that volume? A simple opacity texture won't just do it: it will look horrible, I guess. Apart from that, volumetric light requires a lot of cpu time, so I guess the approach will be more difficult. [Edited by - SiS-Shadowman on October 14, 2007 5:56:41 AM]

I would try to do it by additive blending on opacity mapped texture of the light rays, that perhaps has some dynamic aspect to it such as variation of the brightness or rotating or something

You can create the texture using 3 steps, either statically or dynamically..

[Edited by - yahastu on October 14, 2007 2:29:36 AM]