Sign in to follow this  
opiaboy

error with PlaySound program in this book...

opiaboy    144
I am working out of a book, and my program has an error. This program comes from the CD that accompanies the book. This is the error I am getting: ------ Build started: Project: play_sound, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ Compiling... dsutil.cpp c:\users\ethan\c++ stuff\sources\chapter09\play_sound\dsutil.cpp(686) : error C2065: 'i' : undeclared identifier Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Ethan\C++ Stuff\sources\chapter09\play_sound\Debug\BuildLog.htm" play_sound - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ========== I am not sure where the error occurs. 'i' appears so many times throughout the code, that I am unsure what to do! I also tryed to compile the next program in the book, and it gives me the same error. I have no clue what is wrong! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Evil Steve    2017
Sounds like the book was written for VC6, which had a bug in it's for-loop scoping rules, meaning a loop variable could be referenced outside fo the loop.

If you double click on the error message, it'll take you to the line that the error is on. If it's a for(i=0; i<dsomething; ++i) line, just make it for(int i=0; .....etc

opiaboy    144
so, this is where the error occurs, and I believe it is what you said.

if(i != m_dwNumBuffers )
return m_apDSBuffer[ i ];
else
return m_apDSBuffer[ rand() % m_dwNumBuffers ];

the i is undeclared here. So, I tried putting 'DWORD' in front of 'i', because that is what 'i' is throughout the rest of the program. But I got this error:

------ Build started: Project: play_sound, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
dsutil.cpp
c:\users\ethan\c++ stuff\sources\chapter09\play_sound\dsutil.cpp(686) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ',' before '!='
c:\users\ethan\c++ stuff\sources\chapter09\play_sound\dsutil.cpp(688) : error C2181: illegal else without matching if
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Ethan\C++ Stuff\sources\chapter09\play_sound\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
play_sound - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

so, what does this mean? why does it say I didn't match an 'else' to my 'if'?

Evil Steve    2017
Ah, ok - that's slightly different. First, double check that that i is from a for() loop. If it is, change the for loop from:
for(int i=0; i<something; ++i)
to:
int i; for(i=0; i<something; ++i)
(Or DWORD, if it's a DWORD rather than an int, or whatever).

Essentially, you're moving the point that i is declared so that it's accessible forther down the function.