Compiler..Microsoft visual C++?

Started by
25 comments, last by GamerTom 16 years, 6 months ago
Hey, I just started to learn C++, im brand new to programming. The video tutorial I have is using Visual C++ and I tried looking for the program on amazon and everything but there are so many version that come up and I dont know which one is which and im very confused. What version of Microsoft visual am I suppose to buy to program in C++ and where do I buy it?
Advertisement
Visual C++ 2005 Express is free and you can download it from MS site.
You may also consider Borland TurboC++ Explorer which is also free, has a nice IDE and lots of components. Similar to Forms, but better, because it's not .NET.
Visual Studio 2005 Express

Platform SDK and instructions. You'll need this for doing Windows development.
Ok I installed VS 2005 Express and the Platform SDK but in the instructions im stuck on step 3...can anyone help me with that?
MIne is Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional but I think its the same thing: go to Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions > VC++ Directories, and just set up the directories for includes, libs, etc . .. hth
Under the Tools Menu, click on Options. In there then select the second selection (Projects and Solutions). Then under VC++ Directories. There is a dropdown box in the top right (executables, includes, libraries, etc). This is what they are referring to.

Hope this helps!

Cale
It helps a lot... Thanks a lot, I got it.
1 simple question. In the text editor box, thier are no numbers for the lines. Does anyone know how to enable them thier?
Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> All Languages -> Line numbers
Thank you Krazeike, ok well I got everything set up, and I wrote a simple hello world program to test it but its givving this error message:

error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int

and its pointing to the first { after main().

#include <iostream>

main()
{

std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl;

}

Whats the problem?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement