Sign in to follow this  
Happy Noodle Boy

[solved] linker errors and boost serialization

Can somebody please toss me a clue regarding virtual member functions and boost::serialization? Is there something in particular I need to do to let boost know that a class has a vtbl? I get a linker failure with three errors:
unresolved: boost::archive::detail::archive_pointer_oserializer<Archive>::find(...) referenced in: boost::archive::detail::save_pointer_type<Archive, T *>::polymorphic<T>::save(...)
unresolved: boost::serialization::void_downcast(...) referenced in: boost::archive::detail::save_pointer_type<Archive, T *>::polymorphic<T>::save(...)
unresolved: boost::serialization::detail::extended_type_info_typeid_0::get_derived_extended_type_info(...) referenced in: boost::serialization::detail::extended_type_info_typeid_1<T const >::get_derived_extended_type_info(...)
//  linker errors using boost serialization on polymorphic class

#include <boost/archive/xml_woarchive.hpp>
#include <boost/serialization/nvp.hpp>

using boost::archive::xml_woarchive;
using std::wofstream;

class Foo
{
public:
    virtual ~Foo() {};	//  It's the 'virtual' keyword that seems to cause the linker errors.

private:
    friend class boost::serialization::access;

template<class Archive>
    void serialize(Archive &archive, const unsigned int version);

int m_i;
};

template<class Archive>
void Foo::serialize(Archive &archive, const unsigned int /* version */)
{
    archive & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_i);
}

template <class Archive>
void failToLink(Archive &archive)
{
    wofstream stream(L"Foo.xml");

xml_woarchive archive(stream);

Foo foo;
    Foo *pFoo = new Foo;

//  archive << BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(foo);	//  ok
    archive << BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(pFoo);	//  linker fails
}

Foo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: static class boost::archive::detail::basic_pointer_oserializer const * __fastcall boost::archive::detail::archive_pointer_oserializer<class boost::archive::xml_woarchive>::find(class boost::serialization::extended_type_info const &)" (?find@?$archive_pointer_oserializer@Vxml_woarchive@archive@boost@@@detail@archive@boost@@SIPBVbasic_pointer_oserializer@234@ABVextended_type_info@serialization@4@@Z) referenced in function "public: static void __fastcall boost::archive::detail::save_pointer_type<class boost::archive::xml_woarchive,class Foo *>::polymorphic<class Foo>::save(class boost::archive::xml_woarchive &,class Foo const &,class boost::archive::detail::basic_pointer_oserializer const *)" (?save@?$polymorphic@VFoo@@@?$save_pointer_type@Vxml_woarchive@archive@boost@@PAVFoo@@@detail@archive@boost@@SIXAAVxml_woarchive@45@ABVFoo@@PBVbasic_pointer_oserializer@345@@Z)
Foo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void const * __fastcall boost::serialization::void_downcast(class boost::serialization::extended_type_info const &,class boost::serialization::extended_type_info const &,void const * const,bool)" (?void_downcast@serialization@boost@@YIPBXABVextended_type_info@12@0QBX_N@Z) referenced in function "public: static void __fastcall boost::archive::detail::save_pointer_type<class boost::archive::xml_woarchive,class Foo *>::polymorphic<class Foo>::save(class boost::archive::xml_woarchive &,class Foo const &,class boost::archive::detail::basic_pointer_oserializer const *)" (?save@?$polymorphic@VFoo@@@?$save_pointer_type@Vxml_woarchive@archive@boost@@PAVFoo@@@detail@archive@boost@@SIXAAVxml_woarchive@45@ABVFoo@@PBVbasic_pointer_oserializer@345@@Z)
Foo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "protected: static class boost::serialization::extended_type_info const * __fastcall boost::serialization::detail::extended_type_info_typeid_0::get_derived_extended_type_info(class type_info const &)" (?get_derived_extended_type_info@extended_type_info_typeid_0@detail@serialization@boost@@KIPBVextended_type_info@34@ABVtype_info@@@Z) referenced in function "public: static class boost::serialization::extended_type_info const * __fastcall boost::serialization::detail::extended_type_info_typeid_1<class Foo const >::get_derived_extended_type_info(class Foo const &)" (?get_derived_extended_type_info@?$extended_type_info_typeid_1@$$CBVFoo@@@detail@serialization@boost@@SIPBVextended_type_info@34@ABVFoo@@@Z)
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
[Edit: fixed error summary for 2nd linker error.] [Edit: problem solved; pre-built libraries used different calling convention.] [Edited by - Happy Noodle Boy on October 16, 2007 2:39:42 AM]

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Did you build the boost libraries with bjam?

I used the pre-built libraries from Boost Consulting, and they've linked and worked correctly for simple non-polymorphic classes.

Is this relevant?

Quote:
Abstract
When serializing an object through a pointer to its base class and that base class is abstract (i.e. has at least one virtual function assigned a value of 0), A compile error will be emitted. This is addressable in one over several ways:

* remove the =0 in the base classes so that the base class is no longer abstract.
* implement is_abstract for your compiler. (code written according to the C++ standard is included with this library. But it is known to fail on several compilers.
* use the macro BOOST_IS_ABSTRACT(my_class) to indicate that the class is an abstract base class. This will cause the compiler to avoid generating code that causes this error.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
Is this relevant?

No pure virtuals in the class, so I don't think it is relevant. Just to be sure, I made the destructor pure virtual, and then used the BOOST_IS_ABSTRACT macro, but it didn't help any. Thanks for the idea, though.

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Did you build the boost libraries with bjam?

No, but apparently I should have. My projects were configured for __fastcall calling convention, and the binaries from Boost Consulting use __cdecl. Thanks for the hint.