Need some advice for further progress

Started by
2 comments, last by ELgitaro 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi guys, First of all, my initial ambition is to develop a simple FPS game. I started working with DirectX SDK, tried the tutorials, worked on them etc. So therefore yes,I believe that I am a very very newbie. I really don't know where to go from there. I mean all of the tutorials and books that I found so far explains the initial steps. I was wondering if there is any tutorial somewhere which covers a complete directx FPS game step by step? I know I may sound ridiculous, I am very confused on which direction to take. There are many things that I have no idea, such as creating maps, models, effects, model animations etc. I would really appreciate if you could direct me to a site with tutorials for these concepts. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Book called "Programming a multiplayer FPS in directX" by Vaughan Young this wouldnt be for the complete begginer but if you have a grasp of c++ then I think youll be ok. Can get it at amazon from 15 - 30 bucks.
Start out very simple, with things such as pong, tetris and those sorts of things. Usually people think, i dont want to make those, "I want to work on my FPS", well you are working on your fps, you will be working up to your goal in creating it by gaining the knowledge from creating these games, to put into you fps. You will know when you are ready to "actually" begin programming your FPS.
Thx guys for the replies. I will check that book. After I played Quake 4, I was so amazed. The atmosphere of that game impressed me a lot. I wish some day I knew how to create such a game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement