Getting ODE to work...

Started by
3 comments, last by mearrin69 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi all, Have not done much coding at all lately so I'm being a bit of a n00b trying to get started with ODE. I'm using MS Visual Studio 2005 and ODE 0.9 with this very simple code to get started (actually there's quite a bit more but I've commented out everything but the stuff below to isolate the probs I'm having with ODE):

#include <windows.h>
#include <ode/ode.h>

extern int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hThisInst,HINSTANCE hPrevInst,LPSTR lpszArgs,int nWinMode){
	// Start up
	dInitODE();
	// Do something here

// Shut down
	dCloseODE();
	return 0;
}
But, when the linker runs, I'm getting funky messages:

Error	1	error LNK2005: _malloc already defined in MSVCRTD.lib
(MSVCR80D.dll)	LIBCMTD.lib	
Error	2	error LNK2005: _realloc already defined in MSVCRTD.lib
(MSVCR80D.dll)	LIBCMTD.lib	
...{3-31 are all similar redefinition errors}
Warning	32	warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'MSVCRTD' conflicts with use of 
other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library	VTT	
Warning	33	warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMTD' conflicts with use of 
other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library	VTT	
Error	34	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void
__thiscall std::_String_base::_Xran(void)const " (?
_Xran@_String_base@std@@QBEXXZ) referenced in function "public: class 
std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class 
std::allocator<char> > & __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct 
std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::assign
(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class 
std::allocator<char> > const &,unsigned int,unsigned int)" (?assign@?
$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?
$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAEAAV12@ABV12@II@Z)	ode.lib	
Error	35	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void 
__thiscall std::_String_base::_Xlen(void)const " (?
_Xlen@_String_base@std@@QBEXXZ) referenced in function "protected: bool 
__thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class 
std::allocator<char> >::_Grow(unsigned int,bool)" (?_Grow@?
$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@IAE_NI_N@Z)	ode.lib
Error	36	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _main referenced in 
function ___tmainCRTStartup	LIBCMTD.lib	
Error	37	fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals
	C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\VTT\Debug\VTT.ex
So, in {project} Property Pages -> Configuration Properties -> Linker -> Additional Dependencies, I have added 'ode/debuglib/ode.lib'. Sorry if I'm missing something very, very obvious. There are an awful lot of buttons in MSVC and I'm sort of lost because it has been quite a while since I have used this tool. Thanks for any help! M [edit]Ehhh. Also sorry about the width thing...I figured the code box would be fixed width. I will try to put in some linebreaks.[/edit] [Edited by - mearrin69 on October 14, 2007 7:01:49 PM]
Advertisement
While your question does involve ODE - a Physics library, your question has to do more with general programming than Math or Physics.

I'm going to toss this over to General Programming so you're likely to get more responses.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Ah, thanks. You're quite right. I imagine it's just something I'm doing wrong with VS.
M
What's happening here is that part of your code is built to link to the multithreaded DLL runtime libraries, while part of it is built to link to the single-threaded, static non-DLL runtime libraries. You need to configure the solution files so that everything uses the same runtime, and my suggestion is to build for multithreaded DLL.

My suspicion is that ODE is the thing that is built for the single-threaded runtime, though I could be wrong. It could be your code, or some other library that you're linking to. So, to check you need to load up the solution *.sln file, then for each project in the file (well, not all the example/test projects, but the main libraries) go to properties->configuration properties->C/C++->Code Generation. Then look for the Runtime library setting. What you're wanting to select (my recommendation) is "Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)" for release build and "Multi-threaded Debug DLL (/MDd)" for debug build.

Fixup all your solution/project files to use the same settings here, and your "already defined" problems should be solved. I've never had the other std errors when building/linking to ODE, so I feel like solving the runtime library conflict might work all that out as well.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Thanks! I will try this out. I've tried this with basically just the stub code above (i.e. no other libraries) and still get the same problems so I'm guessing it's just whatever project defaults get set when you create a project. Thanks for pointing me at multi- vs single-threading though. I would have had no idea to look there, having never messed with this stuff at all.
M

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement