Sign in to follow this  
Arbel

Displaying an Image in C++

Alright, since I doubt anyone will respond to my last topic (the topic title was a little misleading) I figured I'd clear up what I was trying to say in my last post. First off, what is a good way to display a BMP, JPEG etc Image in C++. I've been using OpenIL (DevIL) to load images, but there is really no good way to display them (the tutorials only tell me only how to apply them to 3d objects) All I am doing is making a 2d game and want to display some pictures, but there really seems to be a lack of anything on the internet that is helpful.

what you probably want to do instead, is understand how to conceptually approach game design first. when you can map out all the components and how they interact in your mind then you can develop a clear idea of what you need to do in order to build that game of yours.

you might end up discovering is you don't really want to load or mess with bitmaps directly. in fact maybe look at opengl, you can do some very nice stuff with it in 2d/3d, what ever you want. you can load images as textures on to a model/plane and display that on the screen, and then continue to manipulate it and do what you wish.

you shouldn't say there is a lack of anything helpful on the internet, there is in fact a ton of helpful information, you just need practice in using search engines; as in figuring out good terms to describe what you're looking for, and using logical operators, along with other features. through google i've found almost everything i've desired to know. :-)

Quote:
Original post by aevanthony
what you probably want to do instead, is understand how to conceptually approach game design first. when you can map out all the components and how they interact in your mind then you can develop a clear idea of what you need to do in order to build that game of yours.

you might end up discovering is you don't really want to load or mess with bitmaps directly. in fact maybe look at opengl, you can do some very nice stuff with it in 2d/3d, what ever you want. you can load images as textures on to a model/plane and display that on the screen, and then continue to manipulate it and do what you wish.

you shouldn't say there is a lack of anything helpful on the internet, there is in fact a ton of helpful information, you just need practice in using search engines; as in figuring out good terms to describe what you're looking for, and using logical operators, along with other features. through google i've found almost everything i've desired to know. :-)

Yup just using + between words I'm looking for and enclosing key terms I'm looking for in "" quotes I've been able to find 99% of the stuff I want on the internet using google!!!

Thank you. I think the problem I was having was not realizing that OpenIL was only for loading and manipulating. (hence why I didn't find examples for using it to display) After doing a search on SDL, I found some great 2d tutorials. Thanks guys.