Mastery or Variety?

Started by
10 comments, last by Trandafira 16 years, 5 months ago
Hi people. I was just interested in knowing everyone's ideas about something, would include a poll but I don't see an option to. Do you think a person would be more satisfied with their life if they made a goal out of mastering one very deep or otherwise very replayable game, such as chess, go, or any of the really good video/computer games out there, or would they be more satisfied with playing a variety of games? I get the feeling that most video game players would lean towards the latter, but thought I'd ask anyway, mostly because I don't know which way to go, and it'd be interesting to see some of the arguments for either side. [Edited by - UltraJethro on October 25, 2007 7:43:04 PM]
Advertisement
Which way to go? I'm not sure I follow. It is a personal choice.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I just play something until I get bored of it. Then I play something else. That always worked for me.
I thought this was going to be some deep and insightful discussion on life, better to be a master of one or two arts/skills, or to study a large variety of things. I am somewhat disappointed..
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
Quote:Original post by elis-cool
I thought this was going to be some deep and insightful discussion on life, better to be a master of one or two arts/skills, or to study a large variety of things. I am somewhat disappointed..

Same here... I wasn't expecting a discussion on how to best waste your life, sorry for the bash OP but you must realize that most people who dedicate their lives to playing games end up as bums.
Best regards, Omid
why settle for one choice? Master a variety of games.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I think either can be satisfying, depending on the person. Some people dedicate their lives to a single instrument in a single style, some people play a variety of instruments in a variety of styles. Some scientists dedicate their lives to a single problem in a single branch of science, some branch out into other branches of science.

I, personally, lean toward the variety side of things, but I also stand in awe of those olympians who've done their one sport for the better part of every day since they can remember.

Then again, I don't know of any video games with both enough depth and staying power (partially due to changing technologies, it can be hard to get a game designed for DOS to run on today's computers) to warrant such depth of study. I think that fighting games are probably your best bet in that regard.
Quote:Original post by Omid Ghavami

Same here... I wasn't expecting a discussion on how to best waste your life, sorry for the bash OP but you must realize that most people who dedicate their lives to playing games end up as bums.

People like Garry Kasparov are bums? I learned something important today.
Quote:Original post by UltraJethro
Quote:Original post by Omid Ghavami

People like Garry Kasparov are bums? I learned something important today.

Learn something else while you're at it -- most people who dedicate themselves to chess are not like Gary Kasparov. [wink]
Quote:Original post by UltraJethro
Do you think a person would be more satisfied with their life if they dedicated themselves to mastering one very deep or otherwise very replayable game, such as chess, go, or any of the really good video/computer games out there, or would they be more satisfied with playing a variety of games?

I think if I'm judging how satisfied I am with my life based on how many games I've played and how good I became in each one, something has gone very, very wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement