• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

programing languages

This topic is 3740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Every one sais to learn c++ or c# but that only works on microsoft stuff. Can you guys reccomend a more unversal language?

Advertisement
Hello,

That statement is a false statement. I would advise you to look around. Also, seeing that you did post a previous post about how to start programming that tells me you are a beginner. That is why you do not know that.

Also, stay away from C++ as a beginner language. Pick an easier language to learn first, so you can actually understand things and plus you will get results faster, which should keep you motivated. A lot of people would recommend C# or Python as a beginning language.

~Carl J. Loucius

Quote:
Original post by Sk8ter
that only works on microsoft stuff.

You're wrong.

Quote:
Original post by Sk8ter
Every one sais to learn c++ or c# but that only works on microsoft stuff. Can you guys reccomend a more unversal language?

You couldn't be more wrong. Both languages work fine on multiple platforms. I understand however that some (minor one would hope) parts of C# aren't perfectly implemented on non-microsoft platforms.

However, if you are new to programming I recommend Python.

As others have mentioned C++ is certainly available on other platforms (and C# is as well, although only half-heartedly). I second the recommendation of Python as the first language you learn. Depending on the types of programs you want to write it may be the only language you ever need to learn.

Both of those languages are platform independent, however the .NET implementation of C# seems to be more complete than many others.

The general consensus around here seems to be, if you want to learn a programming language, start out with Python or possibly C# and try to steer clear from C++ until you have a grasp of the basics of programming languages in general.

If you start with Python, and since you're posting on GameDev, chances are you'll be interested in PyGame too.

Like everyone else has said, that's wrong. However, may have meant that everyone seems to be using C/C++/C# (they're all different, they all just contain the letter 'C') and everyone seems to use Microsoft's compilers. But that's not right, many, many people use languages other than C/C++/C# and many people don't use Microsoft's compilers.

I personally don't know a good starting language to suggest, as I kind of launched myself into C++, but I would suggest Python. I just got my little brother started with it, and he seems to be picking it up pretty easily.

Quote:
Original post by Sk8ter
Can you guys reccomend a more unversal language?

How can we forget the Java?

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
Quote:
Original post by gan
How can we forget Java?

Quite easily! :P

haha agreed. My only reservation against java is that you have to have the JVM running in order to run you program, which to me is annoying. But then again, I have no idea if python or the other languages do, but I don't think they do... I've never used them though... I probably should someday

Python does require an interpreter to run it's programs. However, the python dll can be packaged with your game to let it run as a (rather large) .exe (check out Py2Exe if you want more).

Ada. If you can't handle Ada, straight C.

But seriously, I have seen programming newbies spit out surprisingly decent games in about a week using Python with PyGame. You should start there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement