Enemies always attack

Started by
43 comments, last by MSW 16 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Way Walker
I place it along with furniture that, in reality, you could move, but, in the game, you can't. Unless it's interesting to be able to move it, I see no reason to allow you to move it. Unless it's interesting for them not to attack, then just have them attack.

Honestly, that seems like a weak argument. The furniture's very existence is often pointless and irrelevant to gameplay. It can be there to add depth and realism, and nothing more.

If you feel that creatures behaving this way would add no depth to gameplay, then that's a valid point. Otherwise, you're saying remove what you don't need. It's a video game. The entire experience is optional.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kest
I place it along with furniture that, in reality, you could move, but, in the game, you can't. Unless it's interesting to be able to move it, I see no reason to allow you to move it. Unless it's interesting for them not to attack, then just have them attack.

Honestly, that seems like a weak argument. The furniture's very existence is often pointless and irrelevant to gameplay. It can be there to add depth and realism, and nothing more.

Yes, and if it's irrelevant to the game, it shouldn't be in the game. That's my point. If the furniture is relevant (e.g. it's a prop used during a conversation or something), but redecorating the apartment isn't, then I see no reason to be able to move it around (especially since that's not something you'd normally do with furniture, especially when not in your own house).

Quote:
If you feel that creatures behaving this way would add no depth to gameplay, then that's a valid point. Otherwise, you're saying remove what you don't need. It's a video game. The entire experience is optional.

Right, and unlike a lot of people, I don't feel the need to play games that bother me. Like you say, it's not required that I play games, especially the ones I dislike.

Anyway, I think you missed the point. I wasn't saying that it wouldn't add depth to the game; I was saying that if it doesn't add depth to the game, then don't add it to the game. Whether or not it adds to the game depends on the game design.
In just about every MMO, if one lousy mob had the intelligence to run for help and fetch backup, the enemy could easily win.

The main strategy is to aggro as few mobs as possible at a time, so you don't kill yourself. Rinse and repeat. That's why there needs to be complexity, not to add realism, but to make it more fun! How fun is grinding one mob at a time for hours just so you can get to a boss?

A really robust system would make enemies use smarter strategies, and thus would need you to use smarter strategies. Of course, the more complex the enemy AI and tactics, the more you have to rethink player combat gameplay. So, that's why we still have the "Aggro Range = 10 yards" as the only trait of mobs.
Quote:Original post by MSW
So you are in some hack-n-slash, and you stumble upon a critter. While its true the critter may or may not attack you in real life...for it to do the same in a game doesn't speak of AI complexity...rather players will see it as a bug.

Not if it behaves differently. If it just sits there like you don't exist, then maybe. Real creatures don't behave that way.

Here's a scenario. You walk into a room where a giant hellhound is feeding on a dead corpse, but it doesn't notice you. Since you know it will take 30-40 rounds to drop it, you decide to sneak by while it's occupied. Right as you pass by, it hears you and turns to face you, growling and barking. Rather than fire your weapons, you just keep inching in the same direction toward the door. It doesn't lunge at you, but it's staring you down, waiting for something to happen. As you approach the door, it slowly turns back to continue eating, and you continue with your mission.

Players that freaked out and fired at it lost 40 rounds and probably a bit of health.

If players have the option of tossing corpses to hellhounds inorder to distract them then you have added depth. If hellhounds can only "see" you when you stand perfectly still, then you have added depth. If the player can perform the same actions each time in getting past the hellhound with the same resault...then you have added depth. That is good game design.

On the other hand if your scenario can repeatedly run with the same player inputs; and get different resaults. Then players will see it as a bug, or worse; bad game design.

If players have the option of tossing corpses to hellhounds inorder to distract them then you have added depth. If hellhounds can only "see" you when you stand perfectly still, then you have added depth. If the player can perform the same actions each time in getting past the hellhound with the same resault...then you have added depth. That is good game design.

On the other hand if your scenario can repeatedly run with the same player inputs; and get different resaults. Then players will see it as a bug, or worse; bad game design.

Unless, of course, the player can see that the initial conditions are different. If the hellhounds only attack when they aren't feeding and the player can see whether or not they're feeding, then you can get different results and it not appear as a bug because it's not precisely the same scenario.

Games don't have to always start with the exact same initial conditions, and varying player inputs earlier in the game can vary situations later (e.g. if they killed less, maybe there wouldn't be enough corpses for all the hellhounds to feed on, so they'd get chased by more hellhounds).

Yes, and if it's irrelevant to the game, it shouldn't be in the game. That's my point. If the furniture is relevant (e.g. it's a prop used during a conversation or something), but redecorating the apartment isn't, then I see no reason to be able to move it around (especially since that's not something you'd normally do with furniture, especially when not in your own house).

So if your player character is visiting another character's home, there shouldn't be any furniture or cabinets because no one leans on them? They certainly aren't there to enhance gameplay. They're there because people have furniture and cabinets in their homes. That's it. No different than having the ability to push them around - and for no good reason. These things have an affect on the game because they have an affect on the mind of the person playing it.

Creatures have motivations other than killing the player character. I think that limiting that as their one and only objective is belittling to the creature's existence. It makes it feel less like a creature and more like a video game robot. I believe it may be worth exploring those types of behavior, even if it has no direct connection to the choices the player is making.

So if your player character is visiting another character's home, there shouldn't be any furniture or cabinets because no one leans on them? They certainly aren't there to enhance gameplay. They're there because people have furniture and cabinets in their homes. That's it. No different than having the ability to push them around - and for no good reason. These things have an affect on the game because they have an affect on the mind of the person playing it.

My suspension of disbelief has never suffered during a play because I know that no one could remove some painting from the wall because it's actually painted on the wall with a frame nailed around it. Really, I don't even know that I'd notice if my friend's furniture wasn't moveable. They don't try to move mine and I don't try to move theirs.

Quote:
Creatures have motivations other than killing the player character. I think that limiting that as their one and only objective is belittling to the creature's existence. It makes it feel less like a creature and more like a video game robot. I believe it may be worth exploring those types of behavior, even if it has no direct connection to the choices the player is making.

Who are we belittling?

My position has pretty much always been that games should limit us to meaningful, interesting choices, limit us to meaningful, interesting experiences. It's like a monte carlo simulation that's biased toward interesting behavior. We don't care if it does something uninteresting, so we constrain it to doing something interesting.

In a game, it's more fun to interact with the creatures, so they should be biased toward interacting with us.
Unless, of course, the player can see that the initial conditions are different. If the hellhounds only attack when they aren't feeding and the player can see whether or not they're feeding, then you can get different results and it not appear as a bug because it's not precisely the same scenario.

Games don't have to always start with the exact same initial conditions, and varying player inputs earlier in the game can vary situations later (e.g. if they killed less, maybe there wouldn't be enough corpses for all the hellhounds to feed on, so they'd get chased by more hellhounds).

Of course, if the initial situation is different then players must see this, that the hellhounds arn't feasting on corpses. That is my point. The game should present a solid world. If doing X,Y,Z allows you to slip past a hellhound undetected while conditions A,B,C are in effect...Then it always should.

But hideing some calculation behind the scenes inorder to prompt the hellhound to attack...Even if X,Y,Z and A,B,C are met...Then its like pulling the rug from under the player. The game world isn't solid anymore. Why should they then even attempt X,Y,Z and A,B,C if its a gamble that it will even succeed?

Of course, if the initial situation is different then players must see this, that the hellhounds arn't feasting on corpses. That is my point. The game should present a solid world. If doing X,Y,Z allows you to slip past a hellhound undetected while conditions A,B,C are in effect...Then it always should.

But hideing some calculation behind the scenes inorder to prompt the hellhound to attack...Even if X,Y,Z and A,B,C are met...Then its like pulling the rug from under the player. The game world isn't solid anymore. Why should they then even attempt X,Y,Z and A,B,C if its a gamble that it will even succeed?

Well, because the gamble may pay off. That's why people spend so many hours in front of the one-armed bandit. I agree, though, that it would have to be done carefully to avoid it simply looking like a buggy game.
My suspension of disbelief has never suffered during a play because I know that no one could remove some painting from the wall because it's actually painted on the wall with a frame nailed around it.

It all depends on the difficulty of implementing it and whether it disturbs the game. If your players are using neural interfaces and have direct body control, then there's no danger of "accidently" moving furniture or other problematic situations. So if it takes two seconds to code that in, why wouldn't you? It adds realism and depth. It makes your world feel more real.

Movable furniture actually could cause negative gameplay side effects, takes a lot longer than two seconds to implement, and wouldn't add enough depth to make up for those things, so I personally wouldn't bother with it. But other things are easy to implement, and even if they don't improve gameplay, they can increase the value of the experience just by making the setting more dynamic or interesting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement