• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
davek20

Level Design Question

This topic is 4012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been wondering about this for a few days now and need some ideas/feedback on this idea. For one of my classes we are making a side scroller game. One of my group members showed us a video of the game called Exit. We like the way the levels looks and might use that style for our game, but we really don't want to make the full transition into a full 3D (since we want to make a side scroller). We also found several 2D physics engines and which brings me to my idea: Here is a picture of a simple level: http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9034/leveljw3.jpg Say if I had that level and took the green polygons (they are divided into rectangles) and used those for collisions in the physics engine and used the 3D level to display and move around in (along the XY plane). Would it give correct results? Will this actually work? Or is it just something crazy that I came up with?

Advertisement
It should work, I believe. As to correctness, I think that it is more common in such games that you would want your characters to walk along a line somewhere close to the centre of the platforms in your level, instead of the "front" edge, as I would imagine would be the case if you were to use the polygons as they are at the moment. I would recommend moving them along the projected depth axis - in this case, up and to the left - until they correspond roughly with a section taken from halfway into the level.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!