• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[web] Online business card application: advice needed

This topic is 3829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'd like to develop a web application that allow to create a custom business card specifying the following: - a background image - some text fields, that the user can move and position around the canvas - when he's done, save the business card in a pdf I'd like to know what kind of language should I use: AJAX, javascript, both ? I suppose it can't be done with VC#. Thanks for any suggestion.

Advertisement
If I understand your needs:

1. the user creates his own card by dragging things around, selecting images and typing text,

2. he clicks "save to PDF",

3. he gets a PDF file in return.

If I get it right, you'll need a client-side technology such as javascript (or ActionScript for the Flash platform, if you don't mind proprietary technologies) for the first point. You'll have to upload the data to your server and transform it into a PDF file for point 2, and finally you'll have to send back a link (or the file) for point 3.

To send the client-side data, you'll probably want to use something like the (in)famous XmlHttpRequest, which is an important part of Ajax (Ajax isn't a programming language). How you'll transform the data to PDF is up to you, and depends largely on the server platform you'll be using (PHP has PDF functions that require PDFLib (read the licence), and also FPDF). Point 3 shouldn't be too much trouble, unless you wanted to provide the PDF printing as a SOAP-based web service or some such.

You can't use VC# for part #1, but you can definitely use C# with ASP.NET for points #2 and #3, assuming the .NET framework provides PDF routines.

Note: I'm not a web developer at all. All the above could be wrong.

Automated graphic design cannot compete with manual graphic design in terms of quality and aesthetics.

//removed spammish signature

[Edited by - jbadams on October 27, 2007 6:36:00 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement