• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Reading AVI data from a huge general multimedia data file

This topic is 3861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I would like to read and playback an AVI video data that it is inside a huge general purpose data file that contains among others sound & graphics data. Is that possible to have a direct access to a specific offset inside the data that points to that AVI stream and play it with MCI without of course the need of extracting to a temp file? I found that mmioOpen of the MCI command set can do that. Is there any sample or example that i can play with ? Any other recommendations ? Regards,

Advertisement
I wanted to use it, but never used it myself but i think name pipes are what you are looking for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe
---
The named pipe can be accessed much like a file. Win32 SDK functions such as CreateFile, ReadFile, WriteFile and CloseHandle can be used to open, read from, write to, and close a pipe. C library functions such as fopen, fread, fwrite, and fclose can also be used, unlike Windows Sockets, which does not implement network use of standard file i/o operations. There is no command line interface like Unix.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!