• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JMcClane

SIMPLE Java Game

This topic is 3948 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am creating a simple game with Java for a school project. My basic idea is to create a tubing game (with mechanics similar to the river section of the Oregon Trail game...you know what I'm talking about haha). Anyways, I am a newb at this in every sense of the word. I need some help figuring out what resources to use for the animation. PLEASE help! Thanks.

Advertisement
I think I get your point, but you didn't say if you want to use J2SE or J2ME (i.e. if your game will be mobile or for PC). This is important because in each case, the programming and presentation affairs (i.e. how to put things on screen) is rather different.

For now, you sould check the Java Plattform API reference page

J2SE API reference
This one is for Windows (or PC in general) applications. Check the AWT package in order to create windows and graphics contexts onto which to render the game.

J2ME API reference
This one is for mobile applications. It's quite interesting and versatile, besides of its ease of use.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Tsuki wo miru tabi omoidase!

I believe that for starters, it's better to stay away from mobile development for a while. It's more complex to set up and certainly more difficult to get working properly on a phone - and that's just talking about one phone type, as each type has it's own quirks. And dealing with issues such as midlet filesize, limited memory and slow hardware will only cause more confusion for those that still have to figure out the basics.

/my 2 cents ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!