Traction with rigid bodies

Started by
0 comments, last by pTymN 16 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone i'm having a problem trying to implement traction into my rigid body system. there is friction, but only in the impulse of the collision. http://www.totaljerkface.com/rigidTest6.swf (move with left and right). i think i realize the idea behind what i'm supposed to do... take some of the angular velocity created during collision and convert it into linear velocity parallel to the normal. but if you have full traction, wouldn't that imply you'd have 0 angular velocity... which would mean my wheels stop rotating? i guess i'm a bit confused. any help or references would be greatly appreciated... thanks
Advertisement
Total traction just means that torque applied to the wheels needs to be resolved into an acceleration of the entire vehicle + wheel system. Say that when you first start the simulation, your vehicle is on the ground and the tire has some angular velocity. After the first frame's physics step, your tire will have almost no angular velocity, but it will have a little bit. The other tire will have the same amount of angular velocity. And the vehicle chassis will have a slight horizontal motion in the same direction as the tire's tendency to roll. That's what your target behavior is in this situation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement