• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Decals on 2D terrain

This topic is 3773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making a top down, tile-based game. I want the terrain to accumulate burn, explosion, and tread marks etc. as the game progresses. These marks will be persistent, so over time areas of heavy activity will become very charred. I'm trying to decide the best way to go about doing this. Right now I'm thinking what I'd like to do is have several decal textures tiled across the terrain ( like 8x8 tiles each or something ). Marks would be added onto these decal textures in real-time as the game progresses. Special care would be taken when marks were on the border of multiple decal textures. This way, all the decals will be rendered with a few calls to draw the decal quads, as opposed to keeping a running list of all the individual marks, their locations and sizes. What do you think of this solution? Pros, cons? Any other suggested ways of doing this? Thanks, Jake

Advertisement
Well, there's Carmack's MegaTexture approach which could help here, too. Basically you maintain a big texture, load in chunks that are visible and display them with one call. This allows you to use almost arbitrily big textures (Carmack uses a 128Kx128K but bigger would also be no problem).

Rendering to such a texture need special care though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement