• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Libraries

This topic is 3740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a database anywhere that tells the functions of a library? Im studying C++ using the "Beginning C++ through game programming" book and it keeps telling me to do: #include <iostream> and various other things like that, but i dont know what all is in the library besides, cin and cout, so is there any way for me to find out what is in a library and what libraries i need to accomplish a certain task?

Advertisement
Depends on the library.

iostream is part of the C++ standard library, and the definitive reference for the standard interface for that library is the C++ Standard itself. Your compiler's documentation is the definitive reference for the concrete implementation.

You may also try Google.

msdn.microsoft.com

or

[google]

are good places to start. Otherwise, if you're just learning, don't worry about it at all. An analogy would be that when you're learning a spoken language you don't care about all the words that start with the letter "A" just because you recently learned "apple".

There is so much information and functionality in those libraries that if you try to learn it all you'll overwhelm yourself with information and get very confused. Just stick to the book and work your way through it. More of that functionality will be slowly revealed to you as you progress through the book. The rest you'll uncover over the next few years of study.

I'm still discovering functionality, techniques, and library functions after about 6 years of doing this professionally.

-me

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/

Though for other libraries i'd go with msdn.
(msdn got horrible-to-read 'docs' on std)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement