visual studio 6 debug error

Started by
4 comments, last by Jazonxyz 16 years, 5 months ago
after arguing a lot with my dad, i have finaly convinced him of buying me a copy of visual studio 6. My os is vista, so during installation i get message box that tells me that the 98 charaters are not supported by my system or something like that, and it tells me that there is an package which i must insall for vc++ to debug properly. i install this(getting errors during installation)thinking thaat this is natural due to the issues with vista. I open vc++ to compile a hello word project for test.I get a debug error LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "Debug/7utg.exe" Error executing link.exe. anyway after downloading the service pack 6 and installed it it still gives me the error. what do i do to fix this.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by blackplasma
after arguing a lot with my dad, i have finaly convinced him of buying me a copy of visual studio 6.

Unfortunately, that's money not well spent. VS6 is over a decade old, and came out before C++ itself was standardized. As such, it is completely out of date, and not standards compliant.

There's a free version of VS 2005, and it's better than 6 in every way, shape, and form.
Almost. The free version however doesn't support a (very useful) resource editor like VC6 does. You need at least the standard edition for that.

But yeah, do they even still sell VC6? I thought they just support the long time customers who had it years ago, I'm surprised any resellers still have it.

Also, VC6 is definitely not supported on Vista. Even stock VS 2005 isn't supported, you need 2 service packs just to get it working properly.

You should either stick to XP for VC6 development, or get VC 2005 express.
If you need to make resources, you can use VC6 then use it in VC 2005.
Quote:Original post by scorpion007
Almost. The free version however doesn't support a (very useful) resource editor like VC6 does. You need at least the standard edition for that.

Or. You know. One of those free standalone ones. Aside from plugins, the main thing you're missing is MFC, which is only useful if you have existing MFC apps (and thus existing versions of VS)

I really don't get why people keep buying VS6. I mean, I had to create an image to sum up my thoughts on it, a long time ago:
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
I really don't get why people keep buying VS6.

I don't understand how this thing is still sold to 'normal' customers (ie. everyone other than large corporations with a legacy VS6 infrastructure, but there's MSDN for that).

blackplasma: although it might be too late now, you should try to bring it back to the store you bought it from, and request your money back. It's a shame they sold you that. Using VS6 nowadays is like using Windows 95 in the days of Vista.

And then, just download the free VS 2005 edition.
Yeah I used to have it a couple of months ago on my vista.
Man was I crazy or what?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement