• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DvDmanDT

Fullscreen debugging using two monitors?

This topic is 3947 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm trying to debug a fullscreen app. I have two computers, both with visual studio and two monitors. I have tried remote debugging, but have little luck since one of them runs XP home, so now I'd like to try to use my secondary screen for the game and the primary screen for VS. The game runs fine on my second screen, however, if I hit a breakpoint, I loose the device. I don't think this is supposed to happend, and I don't think this happend a year ago or so, but I'm not sure why it'd start happening now.. I have reset code, but that's one of the things I'd need to debug, also, it takes like 4-5 seconds to reset the device, so I'd preferr not to. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is there a workaround? VS2005, XP Home/Vista Business, DX9 Aug 07, 7600GS 512mb/8800GTS 320mb, P4@3.4Ghz/Core2Duo@2.66Ghz, 2gb/2gb

Advertisement
I personally debug in windows mode before testing on full screen, I usually end up restarting my computer when it hits a breakpoint when its in fullscreen.

Or u can dump data to files when its running in fullscreen. However I have heard that it can be done, but I'm not sure if anybody did it or not, I would like to know myself.

I'm pretty sure it worked for me previously, but now I just can't get it to work.. No idea why not. I'm starting to guess it has something to do with my rendering window.

Quote:
Original post by ramy
I usually end up restarting my computer when it hits a breakpoint when its in fullscreen.

Just as an aside, I have had good luck doing the following when I hit a breakpoint in fullscreen mode:

1. <windows key + r> (run)
2. cmd <enter> (start command line)
3. <alt + enter> (change command line to fullscreen)
4. <alt + enter> again (back to windowed mode)

And voila, the desktop reappears and you can check out the debugger. YMMV...

To the OP, I have a dual monitor setup and doing anything on the secondary monitor whenever the primary is in fullscreen mode causes the fullscreen app to minimize. This sounds like the same thing that's happening to you, but since it happens with both my own games and 3rd party games, I doubt there's anything that can be done.

Yes, tried that, but it didn't seem to help.. Didn't try any native projects though.. Will do. Nope, doesn't seem to have any effect at all accutually.

[Edit:]It does work!! It's just that I used retail runtime last time I tried. I'm writing this post with a fullscreen game on my second monitor, no device lost.

[Edit2:] No device lost except the DirectInput one, so I can niether play or quit the game. :p But still, thanks alot.

[Edit3:] It works for native D3D projects, but not for MDX.. :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!